Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th March 2006, 07:25 PM
Parido Offline

boot problem

Hello everyone!
I am new to fedora and I have a problem. I installed fedora on a S-ATA drive with winXP. During the installation of fedora4 I choose as a default OS Windows. When I reboot I thought that a menu would show up and let me choose wich OS but the default would be Windows. Instead of that windowsXP started without any menu showing up. Like I never install Fedora! If anyone knows how to fix that I would be gratefull.

I apologise for my english.. Thank you!!!
Old 14th March 2006, 08:07 PM
Lluisanunez Offline

Reboot, and just after your BIOS screen, hit any key and the menu will show up. If you want the menu to appear every time, delete the line 'hiddenmenu' from the file /boot/grub/grub.conf
registered linux user #317675

Last edited by Lluisanunez; 14th March 2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 14th March 2006, 08:10 PM
matthewcheck Offline

I had same problem, read this , maybe you would be able to do something about it. I recommned first running rescue mode (after booting install CD/DVD type linux rescue) and executing
Code:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
and
Code:
grub-install /dev/sda
. I suppose that you have one HD or am i wrong?
Old 14th March 2006, 09:07 PM
Parido Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluisanunez
Reboot, and just after your BIOS screen, hit any key and the menu will show up. If you want the menu to appear every time, delete the line 'hiddenmenu' from the file /boot/grub/grub.conf
It only prompts me to select o different hardware profile.
Old 14th March 2006, 09:11 PM
Parido Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcheck
I had same problem, read this , maybe you would be able to do something about it. I recommned first running rescue mode (after booting install CD/DVD type linux rescue) and executing
Code:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
and
Code:
grub-install /dev/sda
. I suppose that you have one HD or am i wrong?
I have one sata with 4 partitions(3NTFS) on it (one with fedora) and an ata drive
I think I havent set up correctly the boot loader. In which partition should I install it? The default is hda (strange i thing because the installation was made to sd7)
Old 14th March 2006, 10:21 PM
matthewcheck Offline

Run rescue mode and execute
Code:
fdisk -l
Then write here the output you get.

The boot loader should be installed on drive, that is BIOS using for boot (if you have Win installed on disk hda, then boot loader should be installed on that disk"s MBR by default, there are also possibilities to install it elsewhere).
Old 16th March 2006, 07:57 PM
Parido Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcheck
Run rescue mode and execute
Code:
fdisk -l
Then write here the output you get.

The boot loader should be installed on drive, that is BIOS using for boot (if you have Win installed on disk hda, then boot loader should be installed on that disk"s MBR by default, there are also possibilities to install it elsewhere).
I did that an I found out that Windows is installed on sda1 and grub on hda1.
I run setup again and tried to create a new boot loader on sda1 but it said that the files where not copied. Now what
Old 18th March 2006, 05:09 PM
Parido Offline

I finally reinstall fedora but I was more careful to the part of grub installation. Now everything works just fine! Thank's all of you for the help!

Tags
boot, problem