<---- template headericclude ----->
FC2 not detecting hard drive
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    eharetea Guest

FC2 not detecting hard drive

Basically I am wondering what can I do to get it to detect a drive, or what driver I need for the hardrive that I have. Please help...!!! I am totally new to this so I apoligize for any ignorance.

Still in the very first stage of an install....and I get this warning:

"No hard drives have been found. You probably need to manually choose device drivers for the installation to succeed. Would you like to select drivers now?"

So I continue guess and continue...

When I get to the Disk Partitioning Setup, whether I choose Autopartition or Disk Druid, I get:

"An error has occured - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem"

Here is some info from my BIOS:
    SATA Mode: RAID
    drives--->
    1. SCSI-0 : WDC WD360GD-00FNA0 <----34 GB raptor 10000rpm western digital SATA
    2. SCSI-1 : ST3200822AS <----200 GB seagate
    3. SCSI-2 : WDC WD2000JD-00HBB0 <----200 GB western

some other possibly helpful info:
    Abit AA8 DURAMAX motherboard
    Pentium 4 3.20Ghz
    i925X

thanks in advance for any help!!

jhetrick62 Guest
    I don't know how to fix this myself, but "search" the forum as it has been widely discussed. Some Sata controllers aren't recognized in FC4, so my guess is that it was no where near capable in FC2!

I believe the workaround is something like installing on IDE, adding driver manually and then rebooting into sata drives. But, I have never tried.

Goodluck,
    Jeff

taurus Guest
    Or you can always try Fedora Core 4 or Fedora Core 5 next week to see if it recognizes your SATA. FC5Test2 didn't have any problem seeing my SATA on a Dell Optiplex GX620 system...

bhaskariitb Guest
    Hi friends
    I am also facing same problem. I tried installing FC 5 It was showing just black screen.
    Please help me in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by eharetea
    Basically I am wondering what can I do to get it to detect a drive, or what driver I need for the hardrive that I have. Please help...!!! I am totally new to this so I apoligize for any ignorance.

"No hard drives have been found. You probably need to manually choose device drivers for the installation to succeed. Would you like to select drivers now?"

When I get to the Disk Partitioning Setup, whether I choose Autopartition or Disk Druid, I get:

"An error has occured - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem"

drives--->

Pentium 4 3.20Ghz
    i925X

feyftw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eharetea

drives--->

Pentium 4 3.20Ghz
    i925X

I have the >EXACT< same problem, i even posted a thread of this a few days ago. Sadly no-one was able to give a solution or a hopeful fix.
    [I was trying to install FC5 though]

eharetea Guest
    I still havent found the solution either to be honest...and this was my post. I just kept FC4 on my comp because I was unable to reinstall. I had FC4 already on, and was trying to put on FC2.

feyftw Guest
    Anyone? I'm dieing to get it working