Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st March 2006, 10:38 PM
CBHarris Offline

Wrong MAC Address and network unreachable

Hi everyone. I'm administering a dell workstation that hadn't been rebooted in 296 days, until a massive power outage swept through Berkeley yesterday. Here's my problem:

I'm using a Dell Precision 470 dual processor, with an onboard nic, which is device eth0. This has always worked fine in the past, and connecting to my internal network has been a breeze. But since the power outage, when it tried to bring up device eth0, it said that it encountered a different MAC address than expected, and failed to load. I tried removing the line
HWADDR=00:11:43:1E:AD:22 from the /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
then tried
service network restart
This brought up the loopback and eth0 supposedly. However, after typing
ifconfig -a
I only got information about the loopback device.
My next thought was that maybe the poweroutage had done some damage to the onboard nic, so I put in a new PCI nic, and disabled the old nic in the BIOS. Kudzu detected that the old nic was gone, and that there was a new nic, and I configured it appropriately for my network. However, once the system had finished its reboot,
ifconfig -a
still only showed information about the loopback. I examined the ifconfig-eth1 fiile (This is where I had put it the PCI nic), and added a line containing the approriate 12 digit MAC address. When I restarted the network, it once again told me that it had encountered an unexpected MAC Address, and failed to load the device. I'm running out of ideas to try. Obviously, if I try to ping anyone, it says network unreachable. Any help would be appreciated.
BTW, I'm using Fedora Core 2, , kernel 2.4.22-1.2119.npt1smp
Thanks,
James
Old 1st March 2006, 10:50 PM
Sarthan Offline

Just a thought here ... , does the network cable that is attached to the system still work ?
Old 1st March 2006, 10:58 PM
CBHarris Offline

yes. It still works

Tags
address, mac, network, unreachable, wrong