Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st March 2006, 10:07 PM
Andre Gompel Offline

FC5-test3 XFS and other issues.

Hello:
I have installed FC5-test3 (i386) on a ASUS A7N8X based system, multiboot.

1) MAJOR BUG: I originaly installed it as a newly formatted XFS system, booting from the DVD, and typing linux xfs on the command line.
Then after an apparently successfull install, the USB Logitech Trackball was inoperative. (dead!)

After a full reinstall, and formatting the partition as EXT3, everything, including the USB Logitech trackball worked just fine.
Of course the USB driver has nothing to do with the filesystem, but I suspect that the install scripts (or code), called when installing as XFS are not the same as EXT3: this would be "kludgy", and may very well be the case.

2) The "Anaconda Install" did not seem to be able to detect which of the two ethernet port is "hot" (connected to the router), and subsequently the Internet does not work at the end of the install.
This is not a bug, but in these days of smart Linux Install, it is now resonable to expect this to be automated, so FEDORA 5, will work out of the box, for Internet connection.

3) The Windows manager proposed in the default install, is only GNOME...
I suggest that KDE would be a better default system, or at least the user should have the option to install either, or both of GNOME and KDE , and possibly FCE (lean).
Old 1st March 2006, 10:57 PM
sadmac Offline

Cant help you on number 1, agree about number 2, but number 3....???

Saying Kde should replace gnome is like walking into a fistfight and saying "I think the guy on the left is right." I just find it a little odd that you'd idly suggest such a thing. Surely you noticed the years upon years of fighting between the Gnome and KDE camps.

In Core 4 KDE could be installed by simply selecting it during a custom install. I'd be surprised if that isn't still there. But its going to take a lot more than an idle bullet-point suggestion to switch a major Gnome distribution to KDE. People have been killed over those two window managers.
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:26 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Gompel
Hello:
I have installed FC5-test3 (i386) on a ASUS A7N8X based system, multiboot.

1) MAJOR BUG: I originaly installed it as a newly formatted XFS system, booting from the DVD, and typing linux xfs on the command line.
Then after an apparently successfull install, the USB Logitech Trackball was inoperative. (dead!)

After a full reinstall, and formatting the partition as EXT3, everything, including the USB Logitech trackball worked just fine.
Of course the USB driver has nothing to do with the filesystem, but I suspect that the install scripts (or code), called when installing as XFS are not the same as EXT3: this would be "kludgy", and may very well be the case.

2) The "Anaconda Install" did not seem to be able to detect which of the two ethernet port is "hot" (connected to the router), and subsequently the Internet does not work at the end of the install.
This is not a bug, but in these days of smart Linux Install, it is now resonable to expect this to be automated, so FEDORA 5, will work out of the box, for Internet connection.

3) The Windows manager proposed in the default install, is only GNOME...
I suggest that KDE would be a better default system, or at least the user should have the option to install either, or both of GNOME and KDE , and possibly FCE (lean).

1) Fedora Project does not formally support the XFS filesystem. It is pretty much provided as it for migration reasons. Ext3/Ext2 and GFS filesystems are the only on disk filesystems supported

2) You might want to discuss this in fedora-test list and file a RFE in Anaconda. Might be too late for FC5 now but subsequent version can have this feature

3) GNOME is default largely because Fedora Core/Red Hat has more expertise on it. Since both is supplied by default in Fedora Core you have the freedom to choose either one of them. Long term plans and proposals are available in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE
Old 3rd March 2006, 02:37 AM
Andre Gompel Offline

1) Fedora Project does not formally support the XFS filesystem. It is pretty much provided as it for migration reasons. Ext3/Ext2 and GFS filesystems are the only on disk filesystems supported

Rahul: XFS worked on FC4... Actually quite solid, I used it for close to one year...
Does it make sense to drop a feature, which is quite nice?

2) You might want to discuss this in fedora-test list and file a RFE in Anaconda. Might be too late for FC5 now but subsequent version can have this feature.

I will look at tit, but the fedora bug reporting system (as forums) is not simple to use!
Why so many menus, acces etc... It looks like "they" do not want bugs to be reported!

3) GNOME is default largely because Fedora Core/Red Hat has more expertise on it. Since both is supplied by default in Fedora Core you have the freedom to choose either one of them. Long term plans and proposals are available in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE

OK this is a long discussion, whenever Novell decided to drop KDE for GNOME, lots of users complained.
As a user, I have a trong preference for KDE: it is just a better user's interface, easier to use, configure, modify etc...
As a programmer is GNOME better to the point RED-HAT programmers prefer it?
Also I tend to believe that most Linux distros will do better with KDE than without!
Not wistanding the current succes of UBUNTU (with "geeks), KUBUNTU may be successfull.

Here to: FC4 worked just fine (a bit slow) with KDE....
Unless clearly I would expect FC5 to have the latest KDE (3.51?)
Andre G.
Old 3rd March 2006, 07:51 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Gompel

Rahul: XFS worked on FC4... Actually quite solid, I used it for close to one year...
Does it make sense to drop a feature, which is quite nice?

I will look at tit, but the fedora bug reporting system (as forums) is not simple to use!
Why so many menus, acces etc... It looks like "they" do not want bugs to be reported!

OK this is a long discussion, whenever Novell decided to drop KDE for GNOME, lots of users complained.
As a user, I have a trong preference for KDE: it is just a better user's interface, easier to use, configure, modify etc...
As a programmer is GNOME better to the point RED-HAT programmers prefer it?
Also I tend to believe that most Linux distros will do better with KDE than without!
Not wistanding the current succes of UBUNTU (with "geeks), KUBUNTU may be successfull.

Here to: FC4 worked just fine (a bit slow) with KDE....
Unless clearly I would expect FC5 to have the latest KDE (3.51?)
Andre G.
No feature has been dropped. Xfs filesystem is same as before. Provided within the anaconda installer when explicitly used but not formally supported. If there are problems using the filesystem now they are probably inherited from upstream changes.

If you want to have improvements in the bugsystem you can help in that by listing them specifically in fedora-test list. Not reporting bugs wouldnt be useful since those wouldnt reach the relevant developers to help understand and fix them.

GNOME and KDE is both provided in Fedora Core along with other desktop environments and window managers in Fedora Extras. Since this is a subjective personal preference, just use what you prefer and yes the latest KDE would be part of Fedora Core 5.

Tags
fc5test3, issues, xfs