Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st February 2006, 09:14 AM
hooloovooQ Offline

screen unreadable after yum update today

I haven't found any other posts about this problem, and for the sake of the community I hope this isn't common...

I recently realized I had not updated my system in a couple months. I am running FC4 on a Dell Inspiron 600m.

As root, I ran: yum -y update

It took ages, but ran to completion. Now, upon rebooting, the computer seems to have some serious problem with the display parameters. Here's what happens:

The familiar white text listing details of startup fly by, no problem.
The boot loader works - I can see it and can choose the older or newer version of the kernel.

After that point the screen is all wonky, showing thin vertical bands a few pixels wide and streaks of the colors that should be on the screen. The mouse arrow shows up fine above all this.

Using the old kernel instead of the new one doesn't change things.

When the screen pauses on a bunch of grey and some light scribbles, I can type in my username and password, and the screen will change. So logging in works. However, I can't read a thing to be able to fix it and don't know the relevant files well enough to call up a terminal and edit things blindly.

My plan: log in remotely via SSH and do what needs to be done from there. I do have root capability.

The question is: What files do I need to fix?

EDIT:
The issue is a little worse... Attempts to log in via SSH are timing out.

This may relate to the college network, which has lately been reluctant to let me get into my computer remotely. However, logging into a friend's off-campus server and attempting to reach my laptop from there is also showing no success.

It could also relate to the school's IP address assignment system, since my computer is currently down here in the lab instead of in my room. I doubt this, however, since my computer has previously displayed the same IP regardless of where I plugged it in on campus.

Last edited by hooloovooQ; 21st February 2006 at 09:30 AM.

Tags
screen, today, unreadable, update, yum