Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th February 2006, 12:44 PM
akavvas Offline

Fedora core1 mouse problem

Hi,
I have installed the fedora core1 and mouse is not working. During the installation, it was working, when I boot the system it didn't work. I am not sure about keyboard as well, I could enter the username and password after booting but when the main screen came I couldn't do anyhting. Keyboard connected via usb and mouse connected to the keyboard via usb, the lights were on. I have no idea about linux and how to fix the problem. This is the second installation, When I saw that mouse wasn't working, I reinstalled the linux but it's the same.
Thanks,
akavvas
Old 18th February 2006, 12:52 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Can't really help you with this directly, but why install FC-1? It's very old and outdated in every respect. If possible, please upgrade to FC4.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 18th February 2006, 01:02 PM
akavvas Offline

My husband needs the linux for his master project and he got it from his uni. Cos we have no idea about linux I just tried installed FC1. I have a DVD from a computer magazine with FC4 but I don't know how to install it from there and I am not sure if their version has everything in it. We need to use the linux to write a program with C++
Thanks for your reply
Old 18th February 2006, 01:14 PM
bob Online

I understand. If you can't use that DVD and have some time and a high-speed internet, you'd be better off downloading the 5 CD version of FC-4 as described here: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...l#Installation
If you're currently using WindowsXP, here's a free burning program: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ that I've used many times to burn ISO's. Just click the ISO button and follow the instructions.

If you're stuck with FC1 though, I'm sure someone will chip in some information soon on how to solve your problem.

Edit: (Oh man, I hate to suggest this...) If the 5 CD version is going to be a problem due to dial-up internet or other constraints, maybe you should try: http://www.ubuntu.com/ . It's a single-cd download or they will even mail you one, although the semester may be over before you get it.

Last edited by justol'bob; 18th February 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 18th February 2006, 01:29 PM
akavvas Offline

I have checked that dvd from the magazine, there are 5 winrar archive files named FC4-i386-disc1, FC4-i386-disc2, FC4-i386-disc3, FC4-i386-disc4 and FC4-i386-rescuecd. I don't know if I should burn them to cds. I don't know anything about linux but I know the file systems are different than windows, can I still burn those files to CDs under win XP?
Thanks again.
Old 18th February 2006, 01:42 PM
bob Online

Ummm... I've never owned a DVD-RW or player on my 'puter, but if you can see the ISO's, I don't see why you couldn't then copy them to your HD and burn them to CD's from there (burn as images though). Sorry, thought you just had a CD-RW like me.

Old 23rd February 2006, 09:11 PM
mekon Offline

Hi. I know FC1 with the 2.4 kernel doesn't have USB support as good as the 2.6 kernel on FC2 for instance. It may be worth trying a PS2 mouse, if you have one lying about somewhere. Nigel.

Using: FC1,2,3, and now 4, but with a load of install problems due to Trident Cyberbladei1 driver. Also Debian Sarge, Debiann Sarge/Etch, Slackware 10.0, And last but not least Gentoo, and thats a real bundle of fun to install.
Old 23rd February 2006, 10:04 PM
mekon Offline

Hi Justol'bob. thanks for the link to the FC4 iso's. http://iso.linuxquestions.org/ have only got the 4 install iso's, and I was looking for the rescue cdrom. Had some problems with FC4 (white screen of death due to trident cyberbladei1 videocard), but got over that with some tips to replace driver with vesa. Re Dialup. Currently getting 84MB FC4 rescue disc + 400MB + updates for FC4. 63% done. When you've done iso's for FC3, and 4 on dialup, this is just a walk in the park. I'm still amazed how all this stuff can be transferred over the phone lines without losing a nought or a one. Nigel.
Old 28th February 2006, 10:09 AM
akavvas Offline

Thanks everybody,
We had to ask for help from a friend, it's ok now.
Old 28th February 2006, 02:08 PM
mekon Offline

Dlad to hear you got it fixed. Could you tell us how you fixed it, as this might help someone else. Nigel. aka mekon.

Tags
core1, fedora, mouse, problem