Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th February 2006, 09:02 PM
kornelix Offline

Linux SMP Performance

There seems to be an issue here. I constructed a trivial benchmark to measure SMP performance for a simple case. Each thread of the benchmark does the following:

Code:
  while (elapsed_time < 5 seconds)
      optain a lock via pthread_mutex_lock()
      increment a counter
      release the lock via pthread_mutex_unlock()
I launched 1 to 9 threads contending for the same mutex and measured the counter value, per thread and total. Results:

Code:
   CPUs  threads  total loop rate
   ----  -------  ---------------
     1      1      27 million/sec.
     1      2      27
     1      4      27
     1      9      27   ** note A
     2      1      27
     2      2      6 
     2      4      7 
     2      9      6    ** note B
Note A: individual threads ranged from 2.2 to 3.9 million/sec.
Note B: individual threads ranged from 0.3 to 1.2 million/sec.

The hardware: AMD64 X2 3800+ (dual core)
To use only 1 CPU, I used the kernel 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4
To use both CPUs, I used the SMP kernel 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4smp

SMP performance is lower than uniprocessor performance, and allocation of CPU to threads is very uneven. Is this an AMD issue, or do Intel dual-core processors have the same problems with SMP Linux? Are any improvements in the pipeline? Is there anything invalid in my experiment?
Old 9th February 2006, 09:16 PM
brunson Offline

I think all you've done is identify a poor application of symetric multiprocessing.

Any time you are making a choice of whether to parallelize code you have to look at the ratio of computing to interprocess communication. If the communication is greater than the amount of processing done by the processors (taking into account bandwidth, latency, etc.) then the problems is not a good candidate for parallelization. Your synthetic test does little or no actual processing, but incurs the overhead of IPC, cache coherency and invalidation, mutex libraries, context switches, processor selection and a myriad of other complexities.

It's not (necessarily) that Linux is doing a bad job of SMP, I think you've just written a poor benchmark. Try fabricating one that does useful work for a useful amount of time on each processor, then compare it to a single processor machine.
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy
Old 9th February 2006, 10:11 PM
kornelix Offline

The whole point was to benchmark SMP performance, not some other "useful work". The benchmark arose from a question about the overhead of locking/unlocking in multithreaded applications. 27 million per second makes the overhead insignificant for most purposes. Adding CPUs should not, however, make it slower.
Old 9th February 2006, 10:19 PM
brunson Offline

Quote:
Adding CPUs should not, however, make it slower.
I think you're mistaken, but what do I know.
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy