Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th February 2006, 05:22 PM
knorr.orange Offline

Question How to perform F-Spot backup?

Could someone please explain how to properly backup my F-Spot photos and meta data?

My goal is to be able to back everything up, format, put everything (just pictures and meta data?) back, start up f-spot and have all of my data there just as it was before the format. It looks to me like photos are stored seperate from any meta data. So I should be able to just back up the directories where my pictures are and then perhaps just copy the ~/.gnome2/f-spot directory for the meta data.

Should that work?
Old 4th February 2006, 05:53 PM
Firewing1 Offline

I have a link (nongnu.org) in my signature that contains the FWBackups software. I reccommend you buy a USB external HDD -- I got my 160GB one at Future Shop for 200$ Canadian. It is a little expensive, but IMHO they're worth it. I have a Samba (file-sharing) server running, so all my friends/parents just have to click, connect to my server, and put on their backup to my external HD. I do the same. I've had my system crash several time while I was foolling around, deleting/adding/modifying files ... And never lost a single document.

Anyways, then you can have the software backup photos, documents, everything to this external USB HD at 12am if you want, while you're asleep. Then you'll never worry about dataloss again.

I don't know where you store your F-Spot photos, but once you fond out the directory just add it to the backup list.
Hope it helps,
Firewing1

Tags
backup, fspot, perform