Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th January 2006, 02:48 PM
vazel Offline

restoring GRUB

i get a GRUB 'error 17' at bootup. how do i restore it from the fedora dvd?
Old 27th January 2006, 03:03 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Here's an excellent resource - refers to CD's rather than DVD, but the instructions should be the same: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 27th January 2006, 03:20 PM
vazel Offline

i keep getting filesystem unkown. that's also what error 17 means it seems. is there a way to install LILO from fedora dvd otherwise how would i get rid of grub and give boot back to windows for the time being...

Last edited by vazel; 27th January 2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 27th January 2006, 03:46 PM
bob Online

Yes, lilo is also included in the standard DVD or CD's and you can restore XP by changing the boot order in your BIOS to CD-Rom (or DVD-Rom) first, then:
Put in your windows cd and then reboot. When it starts up, select Repair Via Console, then select '1' and enter the administrator password (if you're like the rest of us, you left it blank).
Type "fixmbr" and let it do it's thing, then type 'exit'.

Not sure why you're getting the 'error 17' message. Were you ever able to boot with Grub and suddenly had this problem or just trying to install and having an initial error?

Old 27th January 2006, 03:47 PM
vazel Offline

i was able to boot just fine before and suddenly this popped up today. happened when running suse, problem carried over when i installed fedora today. other people just switched to LILO when they got this problem and it worked. i'll try the same.
Old 27th January 2006, 03:52 PM
bob Online

So, what's your system like? Triple boot? One HD or more? Where is XP and where is FC on the drives? I think you're saying that this happened just after you installed FC and grub never worked in the new setup. If so, did you let FC automatically partition your drives and set grub on the mbr or somewhere else?

Old 27th January 2006, 04:20 PM
vazel Offline

no, this happened before and carried over to after when i installed fedora. now that i'm back in windows i took a look at my linux partition and where my swap file is supposed to be it's ext3 and where my linux install is there's a filesystem i've never heard of, 'type 8'. i think that was the problem. i've formatted those partitions and reformatted to ext3 and swap partitions and hopefully that'll work this time.
Old 27th January 2006, 09:56 PM
vazel Offline

ugh, still a no go. it tells me there was an error formatting and that the problem is serious. i have 4 hd's. first two are maxtor ide, last two are sata western digital. windows is on first ide, and linux is on second ide. my motherboard is abit nf7-s rev.2.

update: got it installed now. instead of trying to have a nice formatted ext3 and linux swap partitions through partitionmagic i just left the space unformatted with no filesystem and let fedora partition and format the hd itself.

Last edited by vazel; 27th January 2006 at 11:21 PM.

Tags
grub, restoring