Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th January 2006, 05:31 AM
d_GeNeRiT Offline

Norton Ghost for Linux

Hello Everyone,

I finally got linux updated and working the way i want. Fedora 4 that is. I would like to back up the hard drive image to DVD-r media and store them in case I blow up my system in the future.

Is there any program you can recommend in Linux similar to Norton Ghost that will allow me to accomplish this task?
Old 27th January 2006, 05:59 AM
robghealey Offline

There is a program called ghost for unix, but it is different than Ghost8 per se. Go to this url:

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u

"Deliberately choose to surround yourself with people that inspire you to greatness!"
Old 27th January 2006, 06:05 AM
bend Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_GeNeRiT
Hello Everyone,

I finally got linux updated and working the way i want. Fedora 4 that is. I would like to back up the hard drive image to DVD-r media and store them in case I blow up my system in the future.

Is there any program you can recommend in Linux similar to Norton Ghost that will allow me to accomplish this task?
Hi!

I recommend you have a look at G4U . It is a bootable iso that handles dropping/retrieving partitions or disks from an ftp server, it also supportes compression. I am regularly using that tool for full disks and am quite happy with it.

Ben
Old 27th January 2006, 09:06 AM
farmorg Offline

Or Ghost for Linux, i've used this myself with great success.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/

farmorg
Old 27th January 2006, 09:26 AM
sej7278 Offline

acronis true image, i'd go for corporate workstation v8 as personal v9 is kinda unstable at the moment. it supports the new extensions to ext3 used in fc3+, reiserfs, plus of course fat32, ntfs etc.

the enterprise server v8 also supports jfs and reiser4.
Old 27th January 2006, 06:40 PM
bigfootnmd Offline

Hi,
Ghost 4 linux or G4u do not support storing the image to DVD, CD. They support transfer to and FTP server. Are there any programs that will support imaging a drive and storing the image across multiple DVD or CD media. That is what I am looking for also.
Old 27th January 2006, 10:06 PM
sej7278 Offline

acronis lets you put the images on any media you want, i usually tell it to split into 635mb chunks as then you can either use a bunch of cd's or fit 7 chunks onto a dvd-r.

i don't think acronis supports ftp, but it does support samba, and usb/firewire drives.
Old 28th January 2006, 02:47 AM
d_GeNeRiT Offline

Thanks. I am using Acronis True Image for Linux but I have a couple questions about it. I will start a new thread named "How to backup image using Acronis?"

Tags
ghost, linux, norton