Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th January 2006, 04:54 PM
callumb Offline

Question Frozen display ppc G3 iMac workaround

I haven't found this fix on a recent post, sorry if it's a duplicate.

I had been trying for weeks to install FC4ppc on an iMac G3. I figured out that I need to manually create 3 partitions with Disk Druid (Apple Bootstrap 1mb, Swap 2000mb since I have a gig of memory, and the rest of the disk set as "/" and an extention3 file system.

The install goes great, even to the re-boot and setup questions (soundcard detection, etc), but as soon as I go to log in the whole display freezes.

My workaround is that when the iMac reboots after installation Fedora asks you to confirm your display settings. The default is iMac display, 1024x768, millions of colors.

The key is to change the colors to "256". Now my display is working great. Of course the colors are limited, but no freezing at all, and I'm running Linux!

Has anyone else had this problem and maybe found a better solution, rather than limiting the display to 256? Thanks!

Tags
display, frozen, imac, ppc, workaround