Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th January 2006, 08:27 AM
axiopisty Offline

Exclamation Can't WRITE to USB thumb drive - Please Help?

I have a laptop and a desktop both running fedora core 4. When I plug my CRUCIAL thumb drive into the usb port the os auto recognizes it at /media/CRUCIAL/.

So I plug the thumb drive into my laptop, copy a file to /media/CRUCIAL/ and then pull the thumbdrive out of my laptop and put it in my desktop. The desktop auto recognizes the drive and "mounts" it to the same /media/CRUCIAL/ location. But the file that I "supposedly" copied to the thumb drive while plugged in to my laptop is no longer on the drive. So I check my laptop and it appears as though the thumb drive is still plugged in and being recognized in /media/CRUCIAL/.

As far as can tell I can not manually mount or unmount the drive to the /mnt/ directory without editing /etc/fstab. I don't want to do that because I imagine that the whole purpose behind auto recognizing the thumbdrive is so I don't have to manually mount or unmount it anyway.

So my question is, how do I put a file on my thumb drive when the os auto "mount"s it to the /media/... directory? Is this a problem with "flushing" the information to the actual device?

Any and all help will be apreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Elliot

PS. I guess I wouldn't have to deal with this if I could find support for my WMP54GX Linksys Wireless-G adapter so I could get a wireless internet connection. Anybody have any help with this issue?
Old 25th January 2006, 09:28 AM
bitrain Offline

You need to unmount your drive before you take it out. If you don't the buffer to which is written isn't emptied. (Buffer is used because of the short lifespans of thumbdrives).

If you're using kde, you can right click on the icon on the desktop and select unmount or eject. Gnome, I don't know.
Terminal command: umount /dev/sda1 but sda1 can be different...

Search the forum for the linksys wlan adapter, it has come up here very often.

Laptop: Nec Versa p550, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024MB ram, x300, 80 GB HD, bluetooth, 2915BG Wlan card
Desktop: Amd Athlon x2 4200+, 2GB ram, Geforce 7300GT 512MB silent, 160GB HD in a nice centurion 534 case :cool:
Old 26th January 2006, 12:33 AM
axiopisty Offline

Thank you for your quick reply. I just thought that because it auto mounted that it would auto umount too.

For all the other readers out there, if you are having this same problem, you have to unmount the device. The Terminal command was not umount /dev/sda1 in my case. Rather, it was:

umount /media/CRUCIAL/

Tags
drive, thumb, usb, write