Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd January 2006, 11:27 AM
woedend Offline

2 "noob" questions...

First question is - using FC5t2, is it generally recommended not to do updates? I use ubuntu heavily and it's updates seem to keep a stable system whereas FC5 does not. But I'm not here to say that it's better or worse, just different. When I did full upgrades via yum (from the dev repo I think it is thats enabled) everything crashes except X. And I find it silly to write 101 bug reports. But I thought perhaps the user was not meant to just do blind full updates. If anyone can shed some light on that it would be great Now I know that test releases are based for gurus, but i'm just learning and don't have anything to lose/productive so it's not a big problem to do full reinstalls.
Secondly, is it not possible to add repos? When I tried to, I kept getting some kind of mirror detection problem.
Old 22nd January 2006, 12:04 PM
tomcat Offline

You should update FC5, if you want to help testing the distro. But then you should also submit bugs. There is imho really no sense in using FC5 devel releases without reporting bugs imho.

BTW: Ubuntu updates for hoary, breezy (when they were still experimental) and dapper broke things for me, too (serious kernel problems with dapper). More than once, the system was plain dead due to updates, so please don't compare regular updates for a stable Ubuntu release to unstable development updates in fedora. If you compare a stable fedora with a stable Ubuntu, then fedora wins in terms of system stability imho (own experiences). Well, at least with my hardware...

Edit: I don't think the repos are already set up for the extra-stuff like Livna or Dag.
Old 22nd January 2006, 12:22 PM
markkuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by woedend
First question is - using FC5t2, is it generally recommended not to do updates? I use ubuntu heavily and it's updates seem to keep a stable system whereas FC5 does not.
It's a testing version, it's not supposed to be "stable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by woedend
And I find it silly to write 101 bug reports.
In that case you shouldn't be using FC5t2. Install FC4, or wait for FC5.
Old 23rd January 2006, 01:01 PM
woedend Offline

but bugs here and there are to be expected of course. I realize that programs may crash when certain events happen. And I happily report bugs. But when installing, then update and restart, I get at least 10 crashes at startup and if I try to open about anything - the same amount. Naturally I do not feel its each individual programs fault but a dependency or whatnot breaking - is the best way still to report bug on each individual one?

Tags
noob, questions