Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2006, 04:40 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
AVG for Linux Available

The best-known of the free Windows anti-virus scanners has been released here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5
I downloaded and installed the 'rh' .rpm version without a glitch and had it running as a gui under Accessories.
Can't say if it's as accurate as 'clam-av', but the gui is a nice feature. Oh, and you'll be happy to know that I am certified virus-free.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 10th January 2006, 04:57 AM
pparks1 Offline

Thanks for the link. I use AVG on my Windows boxes and look forward to setting up the linux version and checking it out. Used clam as well in the past for Linux machines.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 10th January 2006, 05:09 AM
jhetrick62 Offline

I have been using Antivir and been very happy on Windows. I haven't yet attempted to run any virus scanner on Linux. Maybe foolish, but I haven't seen the need yet.
Old 10th January 2006, 05:16 AM
packy Offline

Now we just need to charm this baby into a repoisitory, all security measures released on Linux should be dealt with the same way: praise it.

Addiction is cheap labour
Old 10th January 2006, 06:23 AM
PeTzZz Offline
Retired Community Manager

Grisoft advertises it as free antivirus for home user for Linux, but I don't see that there were other than Red Hat, Suse and Mandrake versions available.

As a Fedora user I am happy of course. One more choice.
Old 10th January 2006, 07:50 AM
imdeemvp Offline

I really dont see the need for it, but it nice to know windoz is encountering serious competition OS wise.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 10th January 2006, 01:19 PM
bob Offline

Hmmm... all is not well in AVG land! I've had a couple of glitches so far:

1). The Updater does not work (for me) as user and trying to run update from commandline as root failed.
Edit: If you log out and then sign in as root, the gui updater will work.

2). To use the mail scanner, you have to install a separate program - Dazuko and do a minor gedit on the 'configure' file. That's fine, but afterwards the './configure' command ends with:
error: capabilities are built-in to the kernel:
you will need to recompile a kernel with capabilities
as a kernel module
So, I'd have to do a custom kernel for this? Recompile every kernel from now until ? Hmmm... maybe this isn't yet ready for prime time!

Suggestions? (other than use 'clam-av' which just works!)

Last edited by justol'bob; 10th January 2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10th January 2006, 03:30 PM
GarySaved Offline

I am not seeing the need for antivirus in Linux.
I have been using it for quite a while, and never caught anything.
I do run rkhunter as a cron job, but it has never found anything.

One of the things I have always liked about Linux is that I do not need that sort of thing.
Are we going to scare some people away, if it looks like Linux has the same problems Windows has?

Gary
Old 10th January 2006, 03:55 PM
tw56 Offline

Dazuko built into fedora package would be nice. Would give the ability for on access scanning with clamav or AVG. I sure don't want to have to recompile kernels to have it though. May be needed in the future if not now.
Old 10th January 2006, 04:03 PM
bob Offline

I would hope that we'd be less likely to have problems since we're probably more familiar with our systems than the average Windows user, plus most of us are operating as 'users', not in 'root', so access to our systems would be limited at best. Then too, since there are far fewer linux users it wouldn't create the thrill for a cracker to mess with a virus exploit for us. Of course, there's all those servers out there.....

So, can there be viruses - yes. Have there been viruses - yes. Were they common or problematic - not really. Can we pass along infected files to our Windows friends and relatives by not scanning stuff l(ike the cute happygram that contains an executable) - yes. Am I getting ticked at a program that slows down my boot time and won't directly scan my emails where the majority of problems could occur? - HELL YES!

Old 10th January 2006, 04:20 PM
pparks1 Offline

I've never really had a problem either with a virus on Linux, however to simply ignore the potential seems like a bad idea to me. Clam-AV just runs and is easy to set up.

Technically these systems are more secure by default, the users tend to be more technical and most of us do not run as root. The likelyhood today is minimal, but still exists.

Personally, I like to harden my boxes as much as possible. For me, this typically includes some sort of AV just to be sure. I would rather never have to tell any of my Windows buddies that something bad happened to my Linux machine. Right now, my track record is pretty flawless.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 10th January 2006, 04:28 PM
PeTzZz Offline
Retired Community Manager

You will not begin to worry about viruses till you get one that eats your computer.

Viruses exist. Just wait till they find you ... or maybe you find them yourself ...
Old 10th January 2006, 04:39 PM
tw56 Offline

A good rewrite of the howto article from fedora 3 for changes for fedora 4 would be nice. As a new linux user setting up fedora 4 it was not easy to get all the steps done in two I used.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=53204
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=46540
But I did manage to get them working and it was quite a leaning experience. Using amavisd, clam server, dovecot, spammassasin, work well for scanning email etc.
Old 19th April 2006, 11:39 PM
Red Knuckles Offline

Question

When I try to install AVG I get the following:

[root@xx-xxx-xxx-xx ben]# rpm -ihv avglinux-7.1-24_free_rh_avi0720.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
error: %pre(avglinux-7.1-24_free_rh_avi0720.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 12
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping avglinux-7.1-24_free_rh_avi0720

I have no clue what these errors mean or what to do?
Old 20th April 2006, 12:18 AM
bob Offline

Since you're posting this problem on another, similar thread I'll close this one - please don't double-post, it's confusing and you'll people will be giving information in two directions.

Closed Thread

Tags
avg, linux