FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    VM->Install VMware Tools... I can't install with my Win98 guest

    Greetings!

    I just (last night) installed VMware Workstation 5 on my Fedora Core
    4 system. After learning (HERE, by the way, the VMware help pages sure
    didn't help me) that I needed the any-any-patch (vmnet0 literally stopped
    my system!), it seems to be working reasonably well.

    It is incredibly slow. But, I kind of expect that, because I'm not
    yet running vmware tools.

    The problem is, I can't figure out how to install tools for
    Workstation 5! It says to try it after the guest is running. I do. (I
    have a Windows 98 guest OS.)

    The manual says to run setup.exe from the CD, although that setup.exe
    is what installed Windows. But, I've tried that, too.

    When I choose VM->Install VMware tools..., it tells me the OS needs
    to be running, and to click Install, which I do.

    I never get anything afterward. The VM menu says "Cancel VMware
    Tools Install...". I can click that, and after a few seconds, it returns
    to Install VMware tools.

    I never get anything else that I can see, relating to tools
    installation. And, the bottom line (of the VMware window) says "You do
    not have VMware Tools installed."

    Okay, so what (probably simple) thing am I missing? :-0

    Thank you!

    Barry
    Barry L. Bond

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ARGH!

    :-)

    I try so hard to figure things out before I ask for help...

    Though I've had numerous interruptions to do other things today, I
    have tried, off and on, since late morning to get it.

    I go back to VMware, intending to shut it down and give up until I
    see what help I may get, and guess what I see? Welcome to VMware Tools
    Installation Wizard!

    Seriously, I didn't do one thing that I haven't done at least ten
    times earlier today. But this time, it worked...

    <sigh>

    It finished. I was able to get full resolution, with 32-bit color,
    and it's operating faster. In short, everything looks pretty good!

    I would love to know what brought it up! Again, I can't tell you one
    thing I did differently this time then multiple times before. But, NEVER
    MIND -- it's working, now! :-/

    Barry
    Barry L. Bond

Similar Threads

  1. How do I install VMWare Tools on Fedora 9?
    By markw10 in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 7th July 2008, 08:44 PM
  2. Failed to install vmware tools 5.5.1
    By LS_Ninja in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th March 2006, 02:10 AM
  3. FC3 Test1 on VMware Workstation 4.5.2, cannot install the vmware tools
    By aiirii in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th August 2004, 01:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •