Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th November 2005, 06:32 PM
laurenceot Offline

Fedora Core 4

Hi,
Just joined this forum. I was looking forward to exploring this system having bought mag last weekend. Image how disappointed I was to find that it does not run on my spare PC. - This is an AMD k6-2 w/3Dnow system 128mb Main board Alanddin5 Bios Award 4.51G
I am very frustrated especially as mag said it would run on anything from an ipod to IBM mainframe! Tried to install it all weekend - with text mode, noprobe and all the options I could find but just sat at software installation packages doing nothing.

I'd like to look at it and tried installing on my new PC which is Intel 3GB HT 1GB memory.
I installed on my spare Sata (200GB )drive using only 10GB in total with 500 MB swap. It did install but the I found that I could not reallocate the rest of the space back to Windows XP! So I have now removed it. - Even got dual boot to work - very disillusioned. But still willing to try!

If I creatre space on the sata drive for XP first and then try again I am worried that it will cause problems with the boot area on the second drive-
How much space did I need for full install?
If I leave space on the drive with the installation create the ext and swap only on that part of the disk (worried it will want to write the my XP drives)

Any help would be appreciated
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/newthr...newthread&f=8#
Frown
Old 16th November 2005, 09:35 PM
markkuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenceot
I am very frustrated especially as mag said it would run on anything from an ipod to IBM mainframe!
They claimed that of Fedora Core 4?
Which magazine is so clueless?

Quote:
How much space did I need for full install?
According to the Release Notes, 6.9GB excluding the swap space, working space used during installation and any space you need for your own files.
Old 17th November 2005, 01:26 AM
Jman Offline

When dual booting, have Windows installed first, then Fedora. You can leave free space unpartitioned and then tell the installer to install into free space.

You also have an option of installing the bootloader into the Master Boot Record of the first drive or at the beginning of the drive you are installing to.
Old 17th November 2005, 11:37 AM
laurenceot Offline

The mag. is called "Get started with Fedora" published by Futurenet - www.futurenet.co.uk and distrubuted solely through WH Smiths which is large book store chain in the UK.
Page 4 of this issue states "Rest assured, Llinux will run praticatically on every computer ever made .." Now I understand the operative word being Linux and not Fedora! (But isn't Fedora a flavour of Linux?!) I think its very misleading. I also read the release notes which came with the Cd's for Fedora Core 4 release and there was nothing to suggest that it would not run on the AMD spec that I have.

Re:Boot record - I do not want to write to the MBR of first disk in case it causes a prob. with my PB machine. When you say MBR of drive you are installing to.." can I double check what you mean .. The second physical disk has 3 partitions drive letters e: f: g: all of which are currently ntfs. I want to remove g: and make this space available to Fedora. Does the install write to the first area of free space which was g: or will it want to write to the MBR at the start of the physical drive.
My main concern is not causing a problem with the XP accessing drives E: and F:

Thank you for your help - Looking forward to trying Fedora
Old 17th November 2005, 01:41 PM
markkuk Offline

Quote:
Page 4 of this issue states "Rest assured, Llinux will run praticatically on every computer ever made .." Now I understand the operative word being Linux and not Fedora! (But isn't Fedora a flavour of Linux?!)
Linux can be adapted to run on practically every computer, but a single Linux distribution (like Fedora i386) is built to run on a specific, fairly limited set of hardware systems.

Quote:
Re:Boot record - I do not want to write to the MBR of first disk in case it causes a prob. with my PB machine. When you say MBR of drive you are installing to.." can I double check what you mean .. The second physical disk has 3 partitions drive letters e: f: g: all of which are currently ntfs. I want to remove g: and make this space available to Fedora. Does the install write to the first area of free space which was g: or will it want to write to the MBR at the start of the physical drive.
The GRUB boot loader is installed either to the MBR of your first disk (according to BIOS boot order, not Windows drive lettering), or to the start of your Linux /boot partition. MBR is the default and you must use the Advanced Bootloader Options selection to choose a different location.

If you don't install GRUB to the MBR, you must perform a number of additional steps after installation before you can boot the Fedora Core system.

Tags
core, fedora