Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th November 2005, 07:50 PM
hurrycane Offline

How do i open a port !!!

I ve a liitle problem !!!

I`ve used system levels to open port 411 and i finished up having these eror while i open system levels:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/system-config-securitylevel/system-config-securitylevel.py", line 18, in ?
app.stand_alone()
File "/usr/share/system-config-securitylevel/securitylevel.py", line 453, in stand_alone
self.readFile()
File "/usr/share/system-config-securitylevel/securitylevel.py", line 353, in readFile
protoname = socket.getservbyport(int(service), protocol)
socket.error: port/proto not found

I want to open a new port my SELINUX is down so....the other firewall is iptables no?!
I want to open some port in iptables how do i do that plz help!!!!!
Old 11th November 2005, 08:21 PM
codergeek42 Offline

How are you trying to open it? Adding "port:protocol" in system-config-securitylevel works nicely for me. (For example, for BitTorrent, I opened up 6881:tcp and 6881:udp.)
~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( My Blog: A day (or more) in the life of a CS & Language student... ) :: ( Supporter of the EFF & FSF ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )

Last edited by codergeek42; 11th November 2005 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Disabled smily.
Old 11th November 2005, 08:57 PM
Firewing1 Offline

The old system-config-security does that. Either 1) update your system or 2) manually edit /etc/sysconfig/system-config-securitylevel
Firewing1
Old 11th November 2005, 10:30 PM
hurrycane Offline

Exclamation Hmmm....

For the moment i didn`t try to edit it manualy!!
But a sistem update isn`t a bad idear with yum update no?
Plz help me so that i could update my sistem over night!

Another problem i have with networks ...
I have a computer that runs linux on a dhcp power network but there is a prolem ... i want to change that ip ... i change it with ifconfig but it doesn`t work !!!!!
It says could not find host ... !!!!!
Plz help me with this problem too !!!
Old 11th November 2005, 10:43 PM
codergeek42 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrycane
For the moment i didn`t try to edit it manualy!!
But a sistem update isn`t a bad idear with yum update no?
Plz help me so that i could update my sistem over night!
Open a terminal then run "su -" to become root. As root, run "yum update" and then once you're ready to update, type 'y' and it will automatically download/install the updates for you.
Quote:
Another problem i have with networks ...
I have a computer that runs linux on a dhcp power network but there is a prolem ... i want to change that ip ... i change it with ifconfig but it doesn`t work !!!!!
It says could not find host ... !!!!!
Plz help me with this problem too !!!
Open a terminal again, and try running the command as you did. Then please post the exact error here. (You can copy and paste from the terminal by highlighting the text to copy it then middle-clicking your mouse to paste that text, either by clicking the wheel if it has one or by clicking the left and right mouse buttons at the same time.)
~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( My Blog: A day (or more) in the life of a CS & Language student... ) :: ( Supporter of the EFF & FSF ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
Old 12th November 2005, 08:54 AM
hurrycane Offline

Exclamation I`ve resolved some problem

I`ve resolved my problems and now i`m updating my sistem i hope i resolve my sistem levels problems !!!
Mynetwork problem i resolved it finally !!!!!!!!!!! In the X server !

265 patches !!?!?! Hope i finish today :P !

Last edited by hurrycane; 12th November 2005 at 09:46 AM.

Tags
open, port