Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th November 2005, 10:46 PM
gandalf_thegrey Offline

Unhappy Anaconda fails durant first installation step !!

Hi all !!

I'm a new Linux user, so I don't understand this so much. But I use Linux, in my university every day, so I understand some things.

Well, I tried to install the Fedora Core 4 Linux (4 CD's) in my PC today. At first, everything went ok. At the end of installation, it appeared a message saying that I didn't have enough space to install all packages. I said to myself, "Ok, no problem. I will use Partition Magic" - the best partition program ever designed to get more space in the partition. I did that and everything went ok. When I got back, Anaconda didn't work anymore and I can't understand why. I didn't use the Disk Druid because it's a bit confusing, so when the message saying I did not have enough space appeared, I simply reboot the installation as it says in the installation help and got back to Windows.

Here is the message error from Anaconda:

could not set new controlling tty
trying to remount boot filesystem read write... done
mounting /tmp as ramfs... done
running install...
running /sbin/loader

and it doesn't load anything. That blue screen that we use to check if the CD's are ok. Nothing happens. The CD stops running, so the installation stops there and nothing happens anymore. And this is in the first step of the installation !!!

So I began to put everything back. I went to Partition Magic again and erased the partition used by Disk Druid in it's automatic partitioning. That part of the disk is now unsued - with no file system. The partition was already there, because I had in mind that some day I would install Linux. Noticed that I have 2 disks, Windows is on C: in disk1 and I tried to install Fedora Core 4 in disk2 in that partition. So, the problem is not with the partitions.

Meanwhile, I activated the other program that comes with Partition Magic, which is Boot Magic to boot Windows and Linux like Grub. I selected not to install Grub during the first installation because I knew that I had this program. I disactived, thinking that the problem could be here, but I was wrong.

Then, I thought that the problem was on the CD. I have here the Fedora Core 2 DVD and tried to launch it. It worked!!! It appeared the blue screen and I checked the CD1. It passed! Then, I concluded 2 things: the CD was ok and I could run another Anaconda from another Operating System. Something is really wrong in this Fedora Core 4!!! Just to say something also, I never installed the FC2 because it doesn't detect my eletronic PS/2 3 button mouse Let's say, it detects it but when the graphics appears, the mouse doesn't move. I was so happy when the mouse moved with FC4 !

I didn't know what to do more. I downloaded the CD1 from the website once again and burned another CD, tried again, but that error appears the same running this CD. Nothing changes! I found this forum which is great to say something. Let's see if I have my problem solved

Waiting and anxious for answers and solutions...
Old 7th November 2005, 11:47 AM
gandalf_thegrey Offline

Unhappy

Will anyone answer to this problem? Anyone from Fedora administration?

I don't have any luck with Linux at all.

Remember that Anaconda ran once to the end, but at the last step of the installation menus, it showed me a window saying that I didn't get enough space in the partitions for the installation packages that I selected. Got back to Windows and used Partition Magic to enlarge that existing partition. It was already there, Disk Druid didn't create anything. When I got back to the installation, Anaconda never run again...

Meanwhile, I tried those options from the installation, but all require Anaconda to perform. None of them worked. I even performed an useless memory test.

So, will anyone help me with this?? Come on... in the first installation step ??!!

Tags
anaconda, durant, fails, installation, step