Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd November 2005, 05:00 PM
k4dgw Offline

Laser printer recommendations

I am in the market for a laser printer. It can be either monochrome or color. I need duplexing. I have spent the morning looking through systems like Brother HL-1440 or Samsun CLP-510N. Each seems to have drawbacks. It is to go on my home network and support the family as well as my home office. I am looking for a good "out-of-the-box" experience. Thanks.

Dave
-=K4DGW=-
Old 2nd November 2005, 05:22 PM
capnlinux Offline

Since you are posting this in the Fedora Forum, I'm guessing at least one of your home or home office machines uses Linux. In that case I would look for a printer that supports PostScript or that can have PostScript added as an option. Unix really likes PostScript printers.

I have been getting super results with my old LaserJet 4 with PostScript option and additional memory added along with a JetDirect card. Very old technology but solid and reliable. They just don't make em like they used to.
Old 2nd November 2005, 05:28 PM
k4dgw Offline

Yes, that is correct. I have 7 or 8 machines, all but 3 are running are running Fedora full time, one is on Solaris 10, and the last two are windows. The work computer and my oldest son, so he can game, though he wants that box to run Fedora dual boot, just haven't gotten to it yet.

There are issues beyond the language. Being able to use the duplexer and some other issues. The CLP-510N is very nice, but there are problems with the linux driver when printer black areas. Linuxprinting.org has a lot of good info, but some of the recommended systems are not even available anymore, and newer printers are not in the database.

That is why I am interested in hearing from Fedora users about what works for them. Thanks.

Dave
-=K4DGW=-
Old 2nd November 2005, 10:11 PM
BandC Offline

I really like my HP 1012 and it's inexpensive. If you can live with manual duplex, I'd recommend it.

Do you like surfing forums but wish people would stop using obscure abbreviations and acronyms?
Then my Firefox/Chrome extension ABBREX is for you!
It automatically adds hover tooltips to abbreviations displaying their meanings on any web page you visit!

Check it out at: http://abbrex.com
Old 2nd November 2005, 11:40 PM
addarich Offline

HP color laser jet 2550L, is very cheap, $350 at costco, but again if you can live with manual duplex, the only con is that you'll have to spend about $300 when you run out of toner, but they last between 5000 to 7000 pages
Old 3rd November 2005, 12:01 PM
Zipster Offline

I don't suggest the 2550L to a Fedora... Keep to the larger (more expensive) printers when you are thinking in Color LaserJets. But if you want a good monocrome I can suggest the HP 1320- or 2420-series. Prefer them to be PostScript, not PostScript-emulation.

Most HP's work fine but that don't apply to the cheap machines from HP unfortionately. They require software on the computer in order to print but the little more expensive printers has this program in the printer itself.

Functionality!
Old 3rd November 2005, 04:37 PM
capnlinux Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipster
... Prefer them to be PostScript, not PostScript-emulation.
Most HP's work fine but that don't apply to the cheap machines from HP unfortionately. They require software on the computer in order to print but the little more expensive printers has this program in the printer itself.
Agreed on both counts. An HP with PostScript card installed for native PostScript works great, but again, what I have is old and not currently available on the new equipment market. PostScript Emulation can be very sloooooow.

Given tha Solaris box in the mix, I would definitely look for something that is PostScript. You will have significantly fewer headaches. Most Mac printers support PostScript or at least they did last time I looked - years ago. Might try looking at a store that specializes in Mac equipment.

Tags
laser, printer, recommendations