Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th October 2005, 02:13 AM
raoul Offline

Exclamation SOLVED: SBlive5.1 + fc kernel 2.6.13-1.1532 = cannot record sound

I just realized that I cannot record any sounds from any of the input sources. I have an SBlive5.1 and kernel 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4. I had recorded a tv show 2 days ago, but just now I realized that there is no sound in the clip and it's definetely not my fault as I have used several times the same damn script to record from tv. It was working fine with kernels 2.6.12-X. It's frustrating when things stop working.
I've checked everything (modules, mixer etc), but all seem ok. I can hear sound from all sources, but I cannot record! What has happened? Anyone else experiencing this problem?
-------------

Just figured out what was wrong. In order to get maximum recording level the (1) Capture and (2) AC97 slider must be up in alsamixer's capture view. AC97 is critical. It had a value of zero before and that's why it could not record a thing!

I still cannot figure out what started the problem, as I am 100% sure that I haven't touched the mixer for a very long time. What does AC97 represent anyway and why does it need to be up in order to record any sounds?
I am no authority in sound issues, so I'd appreciate it if somebody explained this to me.

Last edited by raoul; 30th October 2005 at 03:28 AM. Reason: SOLVED
Old 30th October 2005, 03:31 AM
raoul Offline

Exclamation

Just figured out what was wrong. In order to get maximum recording level the (1) Capture and (2) AC97 slider must be up in alsamixer's capture view. AC97 is critical. It had a value of zero before and that's why it could not record a thing!

I still cannot figure out what started the problem, as I am 100% sure that I haven't touched the mixer for a very long time. What does AC97 represent anyway and why does it need to be up in order to record any sounds?
I am no authority in sound issues, so I'd appreciate it if somebody explained this to me.

Tags
kernel, record, sblive51, sound