Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th October 2005, 02:09 AM
wlandry Offline

Exclamation Help with Dual Booting Win XP and Fedora C4

Ok, here we go...

I have two hard drives, one 20gig and one 40gig
Windows XP is installed on the 20 and the 40 has two 13gig partitions for files such as music, games . . .

the remaining 13 gigs on the 40 i want to use to run Fedora Core 4

I have already installed fedora c4 on the remaining 13gigs but . . . i am not sure if when i installed it if i set up GRUB correctly because when my computer boots it just boots directly to windows xp giving me no selection of which OS to boot like i have been told it should.

What do i do?

I have tried booting Knoppix Live and making changes to the grub.conf but it tells me that i do not have permissions to even "read" the file. My next steep is to try to modify grub.conf from the "linux rescue" but im not even sure if the commands i have found in other forums posts will even work in my situation.

somebody please help me out, it would be much appreciated. Im new to LINUX so if possible, the more detail the better
Old 26th October 2005, 02:17 AM
mjtom Offline

I suggest booting from fedora install cd and then choosing option to repair existing system. When it comes to configure grub make sure it will be installed in MBR.
Old 26th October 2005, 02:23 AM
darkstarae Offline

You could download GAG ( http://gag.sourceforge.net/ ) and set it up on a floppy disk so that whenever you want to boot fedora you just put the floppy in, less risk of damaging any windows stuff. Thats what i do cept the disk is in most of the time lately lol
Old 26th October 2005, 02:55 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

wlandry, boot from install cd #1 and at the prompt type 'linux rescue'. Follow the prompts. Before you do that though, google on the proper syntax for 'grub install'. You'll be typing something to the effect of 'grub install /dev/hda'. I've done this several times - with excellent success. Trouble is I don't have to do it often enough to remember all the details. It's really quite simple. Geesh, this reply is a mess, but I think that at least I'm leading you down the correct path. I must be tired. Going to bed now. Good night.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 26th October 2005, 03:21 AM
wlandry Offline

ok, i got it to run using GAG but i would still like to be able to boot straight to GRUB so i can select an OS when my computer boots

im looking for that command line but its all so confusing . . . needle in a haystack
Old 26th October 2005, 04:00 AM
urzasrage Offline

Try reinstalling grub. Follow these steps.

Boot from your Linux CD.
Type in | linux rescue |
Select your language, then select the keyboard type
Next, you are asked if you would like to start your network interface. You don't need network for this, so choose "No" button.
Next you'll be asked if it's ok to search for your existing Linux partitions and mount them under /mnt/sysimage. Choose the "continue" button.
In the next step your Linux system was found and it will be mounted under /mnt/sysimage for writing. Choose ok and you're dropped into the rescue console.
When your get to a command line, type in | chroot /mnt/sysimage |
The type in | grub-install /dev/hda |
"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
- Edison

It's Gnu/Linux not Linux.

Old 26th October 2005, 09:00 PM
wlandry Offline

thanx, ill give it a try

Tags
booting, dual, fedora, win