Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th October 2005, 09:09 PM
Monsieur_Benoit Offline

Unable to install - no yaboot - kernel panic

Hello all.

I'm trying to install FC4 on a Blue&White G3, SCSI HD.
I can't boot directly from cd: when I'm holding the "c" key the sceen flashes and prompt an error message "/pci@800000 ..... /disk@2:,yaboot.conf: unknown or corrupt file. can't open file system."
It returns a blank "boot:" line.
Hitting tab do nothing, just a new "boot:" empty line.
Then I launch installation typing "cd:,/ppc/mac/vmlinuz".
The installer starts, but stops with the error: VFS cannot open root device "NULL" or unknown block (8,1).
Here is a picture of the screen.

I tried the Ubuntu live cd and yellow dog 4.0.1 : same thing, no direct boot from holding c, so it starts from ("boot:,/whatever/vmlinux"), but same crash during installation.
The HD is partitioned, half is free space, half is OsX. First half is the free space.

Am I missing something ? on tutorials, it seems that it sould boot directly form cd.... what's wrong with my system ?

Thanks for your replies.

Tags
install, kernel, panic, unable, yaboot

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules