Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 20th October 2005, 10:40 AM
zivalican_elite Offline

Smile What do you see in the future for Technology? I SEE A BRIGHT and PENGUINY FUTURE!!!

Hello Fedora Forum and all LINUX/Fedora lovers!!!
Hi, I'm a new convert to Fedora, I still use window$, but im trying to minimize what I use it for, as I am trying to move everything to Fedora, or at least NOT MICORSOFT!!!!!!
This thread is not about Microsoft Bashing (although there will be a fair bit of it, as there should be in any LINUX discussion!)

The puncuation may not be the greatest as I am in a hurry!!!!

Anyway, down to the point, well you know how Micr$oft "claims" to be "leading the innovation" (which is NOT true!); or about how they "are a necessary developer of technologies" or other crap?! Well, you are probably also aware that technology (while it is advancing rapidly and some cool stuff has happened...) is sadly in a bit of a bottleneck (largely due to DRM BS! and other "patent" lies/propoganda!).

Also, as a lot of you know, many people who use computers, and other technologies (yes even some LINUX users!) think that technology is a linear development, that computers are "obsolete" after a couple of years, that technologies can "only be used for one thing". No offense to anyone, but that is small thinking! Let me explain...

Suppose you have a digital camera, lets say it is a Sony, 5 megapixel, good zoom, etc. In a few years, it is called "obsolete" because it breaks down, there is no part, cheap/free upgrades, or ANYTHING to make it better. Worse yet, it is "not compatible" with the "latest technology" so it is "junk".

What a waste! Many say "but that is the way it is, nothing can change!" That is a misconception/LIE!

What if. instead of designing products to only be good for a year or two; what if INSTEAD these technologies were designed to LAST, to be easily upgradeable for cheap or free, like getting a part instead of a new system! Parts should be cheaper than a new product!

This idea HAS started to arise and prosper in some areas (like Blackberry, and others) have been designed to be better.

What if a business designed/manufactured technologies and prodicts changed their focus. Instead of "how much money can I make", what about "how well can I design this"? "I care about what I am doing so I will design it as I would like it to work if I were a consumer!"

Just to throw a few Ideas of what I would have put out here is a list...
1) Devices with better ASSEMBELY code! Portable devices such as cameras that don't have choppy or cumbersome menus, working out ALL the bugs before you send out the product!!! Also, how about developing "operating system core addons" that have assembely code developed specifically for a particular make and model of motherboard or processor! That is what game consoles have and they run much better than Window$ games!!! so why not make specialized instruction sets that can replace your generic instruction set after the installation of the OS?!! You could even make money off of developing this!!!!

2) Cameras, audio players, etc that use superior video/audio capture, compression, playback etc. What about an OGG video camera??!! Or a micro ogg audio player!

3) Better software! How many times have you had a camera, printer, etc and the software that is "designed" for it is either incompatable, STUPID, clunky/bloated, or have you been unable to use it because it will "only work" with that software! Sure there are workarounds, but if you actually care about the consumer, you WILL fix this!

4)Better physical design!!! Why do people who make cameras, dvd players, etc INSIST on using the most frail materials, or designing them poorly, to be easily damaged??!!!! Because they are cheap!!!

5) What about more interchangeability??!!! Like being able to take your motherboard to a shop instead of a FAB PLANT to get a Pci Express bus, or more PCI slots!!!!

Well these are just some comments on what I would like to see, some of which is beginning to take shape, and other stuff..

So don't believe that CRAP that Linux is "just for servers", or that "open source software is limited"!!!! So shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the STARS!!!

Anyway, I need to sleep, I'm moving into a new house in a day or so, and I need my strength!!

God Bless America, Canada, and the nations of the world (one way is through LINUX!)!!!!

"Take this nation, move through the lands, rule in righteousness by your hand, hear what we say, see what we do, we are down on our knees CRYING out to you, TAKE THIS NATION!!!!"

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Micro$oft is an evil principality that has been allowed to run rampant in the computer world (ie IBM never expanded on OS/2, or made it win98 compatible! No, they just sat back and even made windows STANDARD on their computers!!!) so it is time to take it down!!!

Anyway, that's enough ranting, I need sleep so good night everyone!
"Live long and prosper!" "resistance (to God) is futile!" "resistance (to microsoft/satan) is not only possible, but it is honorable and necessary for the last days!!!

Good Night (or day depending on where you are from!) to all the wonderful (except for the forum BASHERS!) people on this wonderful forum! Good night or day!!!
Old 20th October 2005, 02:12 PM
zivalican_elite Offline

My apologies to all sysadmins o fthis site

Sorry about that! Guess I should of read the fine print eh? Okay, I won't crosspost in the future
my apologies.
Old 21st October 2005, 05:42 AM
Jman Offline

OK. So stuff in general should be better, more open, better quality, and extendable, and Windows sucks and Linux rules.

I disagree on the assembly code for general purpose computers. There are very few times manually doing it by assembly is faster than a good compiler from a higher level language.
Old 25th October 2005, 02:39 PM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

I've been using linux since RH 5 (I believe), back in 1998 (or was it before ?) and windoze since 8088 processors (can't remember what DOS version was at the time, but windows 3.1 wasn't even around... c.ca 1985). I must admit that linux wasn't, and probably isn't, ready for the desktop. But things are changing fast. I plan to quit using windoze by end 2006. Why ? Because that's when Vista will take over (and my antivirus subscription runs out about the same time ). I don't want to spend any more money for windoze and all the necessary expensive software to make it work (av, anti-spyware, office suite, burning sw, video editing... gosh, you have to pay even to get a proper file manager): it just isn't worth it. Besides, even Quake 4 runs on linux, so what do I need windoze for ? Since I build my own computers, I will save hundreds of bucks on expensive windoze retail software that will be much better spent on top-notch hardware (or to pay the mortgage). Will linux be ready for the desktop by then ? I sincerely hope so, but I don't really care: even if it isn't, more software will be available to run on it and, if something needs to be fixed, I'll give it a try. With windows I wouldn't be able to fix anything. I would be stuck with a closed box in my hands without even getting an option to get it fixed or have my money back. Don't get me wrong, I like the free software idea, but tend to be pragmatic: since I have some skills to get me past the most common hurdles and money is spare, that's where I plan to be one year from now...
Old 25th October 2005, 03:38 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Hey,
I agree. Look at the rate Fedora is developing, and the rate Windows is. An OS is an OS. Once you got Word, you can view folder, easily, customize, there's nothing more you can do. Every release after WinXP is gonna be the same thing -- except with more bugs and viruses then ever. Linux will overtake Windows i say in the next 10 years. Because it's OpenSource, we can continue to expand, develop, increase productivity. Windows is gonna stay stuck because people aren't willing to pay 200$ for Windows Vista when it's the same old Word, buggy system, etc.
Firewing1