Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th October 2005, 09:40 PM
stim141 Offline

Framebuffer gamma possible?

Using Kaffeine/Xine on an ancient PII 450 with a 16MB TNT. Using Kaffeine to view Divx/AVI's which are totally smooth no sync problems when running under what appears to be a framebuffer as blue shadow pointer appears in video screen - works flawlessly even when under full screen. but the image is a little dark. Same for MPlayer. Is there a way to increase contrast or gamma of the framebuffer. If I run using OpenGL as renderer I can adjust contrast/gamma, etc. to increase the intensity of the image - won't do it under framebuffer renderer. Any help would be appreciated. When I try xgamma it will only adjust everything but whats viewed in the Kaffeine's or MPlayers video window.

Last edited by stim141; 11th October 2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 25th October 2005, 01:56 PM
mndar Offline

I don't know about the framebuffer part but for Kaffeine, you have the video color correction settings under Player->Video->Video Settings.
The blue thing you are talking about is there only in newer versions of xine-lib. The older versions don't have this porblem. By old I mean 1.0-rc8 . Also that version could play rmvb files well. In the newer ones there is a problem. The older version however has a high processor usage problem. http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthr...light=kaffeine
Old 25th October 2005, 02:29 PM
stim141 Offline

No, tried that won't let me change the settings. If I switch to OpenGL as the display renderer I can change it - seems like its similar to Window's Overlay mode. The only problem I have is a major hit with performance - with the Xv extension I can run full screen with no audio sync problems - only the output is a little dark - can't adjust it only with monitor settings. I can do about 1/2 screen with the OpenGL mode - any more and it will die - obviously the 16MB on my video card is the culprit here. Have to keep hunting for a solution - unless theres absolutely no way to control the buffer which I suspect. Way overdue for a new machine - although this one still can do WP and spreadsheets - internet is starting to get a little slow - Firefox, Mozilla are sucking too much processor - tried Opera and it flies with far less overhead.
Old 25th October 2005, 05:11 PM
mndar Offline

What about mplayer? I observed that mplayer takes up lesser resources.
Old 25th October 2005, 08:36 PM
stim141 Offline

Yes it does, but OpenGL mode is still a problem and framebuffer mode can't adjust as well. Currently bidding on an off lease IBM PIV 3.2 with 512MB that should go for less than 200.00 so hopefully speed will no longer be an issue.

Tags
framebuffer, gamma