Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th October 2005, 03:19 PM
ronbo Offline

Howto create bootable Fedora Hd for different computer

Hi,

Here's the situation: I have an old Dell Lattiude on which I want to install FC4. However, there's no usb, and no cdrom.
What I thought I could do is get the 2.5" harddisk out, put it in an usb adapter and connect it to a desktop. The try to install FC4 on it, put it back in the laptop, and switch on.

However,when I install FC4 to the (external) harddrive, it assumes to be part of the current (ie desktop) system, thus trying to create a bootloader etcetera. This is not what I want, I want to create a bootable hd, to be used on a different system (ie my laptop).
Is this possible? If Yes? How??

a linux newbie
Old 9th October 2005, 03:50 AM
Jman Offline

You do need to install a bootloader on this drive if you're going to boot your laptop from it.

Be sure the installer only formats this external disk, and not the internal drive of the desktop system. Best unplug the desktop's drives, actually.
Old 9th October 2005, 01:58 PM
DaveRun Offline

As stated by Jman it may be best to disconnect the internal hd temporarilly as all of your installed hd's will be listed in the device map for grub, otherwise you will just need to do a little bit more editing. You will probably have to modify the installation anyway with the resuce mode to change the device to hda or hd0 in device.map and grub.conf. Read up more on GRUB to find all of the changes you will need to make.

If this system has an ethernet card and will be able to connect to the Internet it might be best to just do a minimal install with no X then use yum to install the package groups. That way you stand a better chance of getting the right drivers for all of your system devices.

Tags
bootable, create, fedora, howto