Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th October 2005, 11:13 PM
lesliek Offline

Javascript problem in Firefox

My computer is set up to boot either Windows XP Professional or Fedora Core 3. I have Firefox version 1.0.7 for both Windows and Linux. Each version of Firefox tells me it has Javascript enabled.

I use Yahoo! Mail.

If I open it in Windows, all buttons on the screen, for example, "Move" (an email to a personal folder) and "Reply" (to an email received), work properly.

On the other hand, if I open it in Linux, some buttons on the screen, such as the two I've already mentioned, do not work.

If I open the Javascript Console in Firefox for Linux, I find many errors shown regarding Yahoo! Mail.

Is there a way to try to obtain complete functionality when using Firefox for Linux to open Yahoo! Mail, short of uninstalling Firefox and the Java plugin and reinstalling them?

Thank you.
Old 4th October 2005, 11:21 PM
smfinley Offline
Retired Community Manager

Javascript is not Java. Javascript works fine in the Fedora Core versions of Firefox. See the Java section here for installation instructions for Java and for enabling it for Java applications.
Old 4th October 2005, 11:58 PM
lesliek Offline

Thank you for your prompt reply, Stanton.

Please excuse what is probably a dumb question, but if Javascript's not Java, does that mean that the presence or absence of the Java plugin should not affect whether or not Javascript works when I'm using Firefox?

If so, can you suggest anything else I should be trying to do to avoid all the Javascript errors that occur when I try to use Yahoo! Mail?

The only advice Yahoo! Mail gave me was to enable Javascript, which was already enabled.

Thanks again.
Old 5th October 2005, 12:06 AM
smfinley Offline
Retired Community Manager

You are correct. The presence or absence of the Java plugin should not affect whether or not Javascript works in Firefox. I obtained my Fedora Core 4 Firefox from the offical Fedora repositories via yum by doing a "yum install firefox" as root. The javascript on my Yahoo mail page works fine. Did you get your version of Firefox via yum from the Fedora repositories or elsewhere? In Firefox you could go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Web Features" and make sure the "Enable Javascript" check box is ticked. You could then hit the "Advanced" button and make sure all options are ticked. Also hit "clear" in your javascript console.

Last edited by smfinley; 5th October 2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 5th October 2005, 12:21 AM
lesliek Offline

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

I got my version of Firefox 1.0.7 from the Fedora repositories just recently via "yum update firefox".

Yesterday, after Yahoo! Mail help told me I probably didn't have Javascript enabled, I confirmed that I did indeed have it enabled. I also looked at "Advanced" and saw that not all options were ticked. I then booted into Windows and saw that those "Advanced" options not ticked in Firefox for Linux were also not ticked in Firefox for Windows. Since I have no problem with Yahoo! Mail when using Firefox for Windows, I assumed that ticking all the boxes under "Advanced" was unnecessary. Perhaps I should go back and tick them all. I'll try that when I get home later in the day.

Thanks again.
Old 7th October 2005, 10:01 AM
lesliek Offline

In case anyone else should be suffering from a problem similar to mine and come across this thread while trying to find an answer, I would like to record how I have (I believe) solved my problem.

Mozilla says that extensions and themes may be the source of many Firefox problems and that, if one has a problem, one should run Firefox in safe mode and see whether one's problem disappears as a result. If it does, then play with enabling your extensions and themes one by one until you find the guilty party.

I did that and found that disabling the Greasemonkey extension seems to have brought my JavaScript errors to an end. At the same time, I discovered that the Adblock extension I had was said to be incompatible with Firefox 1.0.7 in any event and to have been automatically disabled on upgrade to v 1.0.7.

Tags
firefox, javascript, problem