Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th October 2005, 02:53 AM
jhhaynes Offline

First adventures with kernel 2.6.13-1.1526

It's available on the update sites, so I tried it out today.

My modem at some time in the past changed from being on /dev/ttyS4 to /dev/ttyS14. Wtih
the new kernel it reverts to being ttyS4, which required editing a few places to get it working
again. Specifically /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<name of ISP> and the name of the
lock file in the advanced tab in modemlights.

Then it seems to have broken packet forwarding. One might argue that trying to packet forward
through a dialup ppp connection is broken in principle - but when that's all you've got, you make
do with it. Anyway I did the iptables commands by hand and it started packet forwarding but seemed
to be very sluggish at it. So for now I have reverted to the last 2.6.12 kernel. But I'm leaving
2.6.13 up on another machine that doesn't have a modem - everything seems to more or less work
there.
Old 4th October 2005, 03:22 AM
stmiller Offline

There's a bug in this kernel for PPP. Here are comments on a patch:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg00179.html
Old 4th October 2005, 05:02 AM
jhhaynes Offline

Thanks. There was a time, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, when I understood things like this and was competent to
apply a patch. Nowadays they just bewilder me, so I guess I'll just wait until a newer kernel shows up on the
update site.
Old 11th October 2005, 06:28 PM
jhhaynes Offline

I started to look for this in bugzilla and didn't see any mention of it there. Do you know if it has been reported there?

I get confused about all the different places to look for information on bugs and patches.
Old 14th October 2005, 03:05 PM
Lysia Offline

I have searched through bugzilla and found Bug 169870. This should be the problem.

Tags
adventures, kernel