Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th September 2005, 09:37 PM
npaladin2000 Offline

wpa and NetworkManager

Anyone had any luck getting these two to work together? I've got an Intel 2915, just compiled the latest drivers, and using the WPA package from atrpms. I want to use NatworkManager to do the scanning and selection, but then the setup doesn't work at all. When I set WPA to do the scanning and such (at least with networkmanager running) it connects fine, but then it disconnects for a scan every few seconds.

Can anyone give me a hand with this?
Old 25th September 2005, 11:12 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

I have both of them running, but not together. NetworkManager doesn't support WPA, just WEP. Here is my setup. By default I let NM run at startup to scan for WEP and lower networks since I travel alot I can find Campus, Hotel networks etc. Now on my home network I run WPA to connect with it, I stop the radar applet from scanning, Open a network device configuration window and start the wireless device in my case ETH1 once it is active, I open a terminal window change to root and type wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B to start the supplicant and push it to the background. Work fine in my case, a little tedious but works....
Old 26th September 2005, 02:13 AM
npaladin2000 Offline

I thought I read somewhere that NetworkManager had basic WPA support....maybe they mean the CVS version. I think I'll try and compile it.

I have to play with trying WPA_supplicant without NetworkManager running too...maybe that disconnect won't occur all the time
Old 26th September 2005, 03:09 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

I take that back, about not supporting WPA, I just tried it and it worked. I still had to use the wpa_supplicant files. I opened a terminal window, and changed to root, ran the supplicant file, clicked on NM put in my WPA /TKIP password in the 128bit WEP block and it connected....Hmmmm learn something new everyday
Old 26th September 2005, 08:43 PM
greppinFunk Offline

I have a similar problem I got my Broacom working with the drivers via ndiswrapper and they're installed.

I run service network restart and wlan0 is brought up fine however under NetworkManagerInfo it says no info and doesn't scan for networks. I think I need to do it this way as I use a WPA-PSK key with AES encryption and the standard Network manager gives me an error when I try to use my key in the key field. I've been trying to get Linux installed on my laptop for months now and still no wireless network any help would be great.

thanks.

Tags
networkmanager, wpa