Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th November 2005, 02:48 PM
Dead2 Offline

FC4.1 eol?

Thanks to everyone for giving feedback on FC 4.1, as I write this I'm laying the final touches on FC4.2 and you should see it online shortly.

Since I'm moving on to 4.2, I will probably no longer be monitoring this topic.

Edit: Forgot to say that this torrent has been downloaded approx. 300 times in full so far.
FC 4.1 will stay up still for use if 4.2 is not appropriate for some machines for whatever reasons.

Last edited by Dead2; 10th November 2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10th November 2005, 02:57 PM
Dead2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunrite67
The only problem I had was towards the end of the install, with only about 2 minutes left, the system kept asking me for disk 3, it would grab one or two files and then want disk 4 back. This happened about 8 to 10 times.
This probably happened due to space constraints. The installer had to shuffle files a bit to fit just 4 CDs.
FC 4.2 will be 5 cds.
Old 10th November 2005, 03:14 PM
erroneus Offline

Nice... if it will help, I will SEND you a DVD writer and some blank media. I'd really like to see this project propogated... (not just by you, but by the whole Fedora Core project) But what incentive could I provide for the creation of a DVD version of this as well as CD? (And by the way, please provide a link to the new thread announcing the release of the 4.2 release.)
Old 10th November 2005, 03:24 PM
Dead2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by erroneus
Nice... if it will help, I will SEND you a DVD writer and some blank media. I'd really like to see this project propogated... (not just by you, but by the whole Fedora Core project) But what incentive could I provide for the creation of a DVD version of this as well as CD? (And by the way, please provide a link to the new thread announcing the release of the 4.2 release.)
Thank you, but I already have a dvd burner and media.

What I lack is time and space. The servers doing the build use about 1 hour for a complete interactive rebuild, problem is like today I had 3 failing builds. That eats a whole lot of time and energy.

Also I'm running kind of short in diskspace in these boxes.. One is a laptop (x86_64 is built on my Acer Ferrari 4005). The other is a rack server with limited space for extra drives.

Working on it though..

As for the FC4.2 release? Consider it released! Website is updated and announcement sent to fedora-users list. Hopefully Jman will post a new news thread.

PS: Like my announcement states, it has not been install-tested yet due to lack of time. Feedback is therfore wanted.
Old 10th November 2005, 03:37 PM
ieuuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2
Thank you, but I already have a dvd burner and media.

What I lack is time and space. The servers doing the build use about 1 hour for a complete interactive rebuild, problem is like today I had 3 failing builds. That eats a whole lot of time and energy.

Also I'm running kind of short in diskspace in these boxes.. One is a laptop (x86_64 is built on my Acer Ferrari 4005). The other is a rack server with limited space for extra drives.

Working on it though..

As for the FC4.2 release? Consider it released! Website is updated and announcement sent to fedora-users list. Hopefully Jman will post a new news thread.

PS: Like my announcement states, it has not been install-tested yet due to lack of time. Feedback is therfore wanted.
i have the i386 and x86_64 version of 4.2 on download now... i dont have a huge connection though so it might take me a while.

Registered Linux User: #373024
Old 10th November 2005, 04:04 PM
ieuuk Offline

hey, is there going to be fc 4.2 versions of the rescue disc because i install my servers over nfs using the rescue disk.

Old 10th November 2005, 04:12 PM
pdxplm Offline

Just want to thank you VERY much for all your time and hard work on putting this together!
Old 13th November 2005, 04:06 PM
ieuuk Offline

im just about to try 4.2 to see if it solves my sata problem,

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=84780

Old 25th November 2005, 01:56 PM
Paul_Vandenberg Offline

I found this script on the CentOS forum. I used it create a DVD ISO from the 5 CD ISOs for FC 4.2. Worked great. The exception was that the script didn't find a sha1sum value to embed. But that wasn't critical. The only problem is that you can't do a media check when installing. Other than that everything worked great. It is supposed to work for any Red Hat type CD ISOs. However, I doubt it will work for FC5 Test1 as they are making many anaconda changes and if this script worked for that, I am sure they would have provided a DVD ISO. I will reiterate what I saw on the CentOS forum, that this is provided as is, with no warranties, yada, yada! Hope it helps!

I copied and pasted the script and saved it to a file called makedvdiso.sh. I then ran as root......
sh makedvdiso.sh <directory where CD ISOs are> <directory and file name of new DVD ISO>

Script is......
#!/bin/bash

# by Chris Kloiber <ckloiber@redhat.com>

# A quick hack that will create a bootable DVD iso of a Red Hat Linux
# Distribution. Feed it either a directory containing the downloaded
# iso files of a distribution, or point it at a directory containing
# the "RedHat", "isolinux", and "images" directories.

# This version only works with "isolinux" based Red Hat Linux versions.

# Lots of disk space required to work, 3X the distribution size at least.

# GPL version 2 applies. No warranties, yadda, yadda. Have fun.

if [ $# -lt 2 ]; then
echo "Usage: `basename $0` source /destination/DVD.iso"
echo ""
echo " The 'source' can be either a directory containing a single"
echo " set of isos, or an exploded tree like an ftp site."
exit 1
fi

cleanup() {
[ ${LOOP:=/tmp/loop} = "/" ] && echo "LOOP mount point = \/, dying!" && exit
[ -d $LOOP ] && rm -rf $LOOP
[ ${DVD:=~/mkrhdvd} = "/" ] && echo "DVD data location is \/, dying!" && exit
[ -d $DVD ] && rm -rf $DVD
}

cleanup
mkdir -p $LOOP
mkdir -p $DVD

if [ !`ls $1/*.iso 2>&1>/dev/null ; echo $?` ]; then
echo "Found ISO CD images..."
CDS=`expr 0`
DISKS="1"

for f in `ls $1/*.iso`; do
mount -o loop $f $LOOP
cp -av $LOOP/* $DVD
if [ -f $LOOP/.discinfo ]; then
cp -av $LOOP/.discinfo $DVD
CDS=`expr $CDS + 1`
if [ $CDS != 1 ] ; then
DISKS=`echo ${DISKS},${CDS}`
fi
fi
umount $LOOP
done
if [ -e $DVD/.discinfo ]; then
awk '{ if ( NR == 4 ) { print disks } else { print ; } }' disks="$DISKS" $DVD/.discinfo > $DVD/.discinfo.new
mv $DVD/.discinfo.new $DVD/.discinfo
fi
else
echo "Found FTP-like tree..."
cp -av $1/* $DVD
[ -e $1/.discinfo ] && cp -av $1/.discinfo $DVD
fi

rm -rf $DVD/isolinux/boot.cat
find $DVD -name TRANS.TBL | xargs rm -f

cd $DVD
mkisofs -J -R -v -T -o $2 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/implantisomd5 --force $2

cleanup
echo ""
echo "Process Complete!"
echo ""
Old 25th November 2005, 02:41 PM
Dead2 Offline

I use the following command to implant the checksum:
implantisomd5 FC4.2-i386-disc1.iso

I will publish the whole script sometime next week. Stay tuned!
Old 5th December 2005, 03:09 PM
Dead2 Offline

Too much work, too little time..!

http://fedora.isphuset.no/howididit.txt
Old 1st March 2006, 03:49 PM
jult Offline

Thumbs up

You've taken away much trouble and work, and made my life easier and the world a better place.
Thanks a lot for your FC 4.2 torrent!

By the way, just out of curiosity: what torrent tracking/creation software are you using?

And are there any more seeders out there for this torrent? It's quite the slow torrent now.
Thanks in advance for seeding.

Last edited by jult; 1st March 2006 at 05:25 PM.
Closed Thread