Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th October 2005, 01:42 AM
Dead2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhaynes
Pardon my iggorance, but what do I do with a torrent file?
The .torrent file is sort of a link and contains info about the files and where to get them from.

You should get a bittorrent client in order to download the files.
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ <- is a nice one.
Old 8th October 2005, 02:16 AM
jhhaynes Offline

"The .torrent file is sort of a link and contains info about the files and where to get them from.

You should get a bittorrent client in order to download the files.
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ <- is a nice one."

Uh, well, the machine I usually use to download is one where I am not allowed to install any software.
There is another machine where I am able to install software, and I did download and install a bittorrent
and figured out how to get it started. And it created a directory and the empty .iso files, but nothing
ever downloaded. It just sat there. And it would be useless in general to bittorrent because that machine
is shut down when nobody is using it.

Is there anywhere I can just download the iso images without having to mess with bittorrent?
Old 8th October 2005, 02:32 AM
Dead2 Offline

If you are behind a firewall and/or NAT, then please check the following:
-outgoing port 6969/tcp is open
-outgoing port 6881/tcp is open
-incoming port 6881/tcp is open (and if nat: port-forwarded to your internal IP)

You should now get both outgoing(L) and incoming(R) connections in the peers list.
Please note that it can take a little while before the download gets off the 0.0% mark. (Since you have nothing of interest to other peers they only give you a very low priority).

Unfortunately I cannot provide the files on FTP due to bandwidth restraints. I'm barely allowed to host the files as it is, as it takes a quite high load on our lines. Due to it beeing torrents I have so far only uploaded 1/4 of the data that has been downloaded by others. (Due to clients sending eachother data aswell to speed up transfers).
Old 8th October 2005, 09:40 PM
jhhaynes Offline

OK. Thanks. Well you have done something good, that's for sure.

One other question - Does the "starter system" you get when you boot from the CD include the updates that are
in the system that gets installed? Reason I ask is that with the original FC4 disks I couldn't install on my laptop
using X because of the problem with X and the Trident Cyberblade video hardware. So I could install using the
text mode, but then because of the bug I couldn't run X after installation, so had to punt on FC4 for that machine.
I don't know whether the X problem has been fixed with the latest updates. If it has or has not, I'd like to learn that
when I boot up the CD, rather than after doing the installation in full and then trying to start X.
Old 9th October 2005, 05:57 AM
Jman Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhaynes
One other question - Does the "starter system" you get when you boot from the CD include the updates that are
in the system that gets installed? Reason I ask is that with the original FC4 disks I couldn't install on my laptop
using X because of the problem with X and the Trident Cyberblade video hardware. So I could install using the
text mode, but then because of the bug I couldn't run X after installation, so had to punt on FC4 for that machine.
I don't know whether the X problem has been fixed with the latest updates. If it has or has not, I'd like to learn that
when I boot up the CD, rather than after doing the installation in full and then trying to start X.
The installer does have a few fixes, including using a newer kernel. This is one reason these isos were made: the installer wouldn't boot.

If you can find your issue at bugzilla.redhat.com and it has been fixed in an update, these updated isos should fix your problem.
Old 15th October 2005, 10:14 AM
buchalkalan Offline

i just can't download the iso files
ma torrent client sits forever and does nothing..

plz help from where can i have the dload.
Old 15th October 2005, 10:15 AM
ieuuk Offline

what are you using to download the files with? also it can take a while to load up and start downloading.
you will also need to open ports in your firewall to get full performance.

Registered Linux User: #373024
Old 15th October 2005, 10:27 AM
buchalkalan Offline

i m usin the official bittorrent client.
And I guess it is working ok (firewall ports etc.) caz previos night i dloaded Gnome LiveCD preview that ws a torrent file too.
Old 15th October 2005, 02:39 PM
Dead2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchalkalan
i just can't download the iso files
ma torrent client sits forever and does nothing..
Sorry about that, the power went out in the whole city for more than 90minutes
The UPS can only supply us with power for about 80minutes

Anyways, the tracker and the seeding client should now be back online again.
Old 15th October 2005, 02:50 PM
cassao Offline

Does it have any ed2k links?
Old 15th October 2005, 02:54 PM
Dead2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassao
Does it have any ed2k links?
No edonkey, only bittorrent.
Old 15th October 2005, 02:58 PM
cassao Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2
No edonkey, only bittorrent.

Ok... Getting azureus...

After downloading, it will be available to aMule users, ok?

Thanks!
Old 17th October 2005, 08:25 PM
jhhaynes Offline

Well, I'm doing the bittorrent thing over dialup, letting it run all night, and after a few days I have the first of the
iso files complete. Except it doesn't seem to be an iso file. Can anyone tell me - is it corrupt and I should start
over, or does the download do something after it finishes all four images to make them look right?
Old 17th October 2005, 08:44 PM
Dead2 Offline

Are you sure the first iso file is complete? It might look finished (right size and all) but lacking data bits inside..

If you are running Azureus you can force a check of the contents, if something is wrong it'll just re-download the missing bits and make sure they are correct.
Old 17th October 2005, 09:00 PM
xjfrank Offline

Will this 4.1 work with ATI graphics cards?

I was unable to ever get FC4 working on my machine, and thus I'm still stuck in Windows. Waiting. Hoping that some day a version of linux that I can easily install php5 on and get it working with my code environment will arrive so that I can free myself. But fc4 just basically allowed me to do a nice fresh install to a dead and useless result. Some snafu with the ati graphics adapter I have (a radeon 9600) and the workarounds all involve editing files I'm clueless about (and I coulnd't get past a frozen black screen anyways so what's the point).

Will this one work? Do any of the patches/upgrades that are between 4.0 and this set of isos resolve the graphics card issue? I'm aching to get this running, but I am very, very hesitant to try without some reason for hope (another dead box at the end of a long install and then having to re-Activate a ton of windows software isn't an experience I have been missing in my life).

...Frankie
Closed Thread