Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th September 2005, 07:52 PM
Snake-Eyes Offline

PS/2 Optical Mouse

I bought a PS/2 Optical Mouse to use with my fedora core 4 comp, and the only mouse that works is my usb laser mouse.... please help me install the other one, because i use it a server, and I dont need a good mouse for it. But I use my laser mouse for games ( Counter-Strike 1.6 / Source ) so please help me to get it installed.

PS I am new to Linux
Old 5th September 2005, 08:42 PM
daneel971 Offline

A PS/2 mouse should work with no problem at all. Plug the mouse in, run system-config-mouse and you're done. In the "worst" case, you'll have to restart X - no need to reboot.
Old 6th September 2005, 01:38 PM
Snake-Eyes Offline

Talking Thnx

Thnx but how do I do that? I am new to linux and all i can navigate is the GUI. All i use it for is my Counter-Strike server. thnx for the help
Old 6th September 2005, 01:51 PM
daneel971 Offline

If your computer is off, just plug the mouse in and turn the pc on; the mouse should be recognized during boot - if kudzu (the hardware configuration demon) ask you to configure a new device, answer yes and follow the steps.
If your computer is already on, log out and then switch to a virtual console (ctrl+alt+F1), login as root and type

Code:
init 3
plug the new mouse in; type
Code:
system-config-mouse
select from the list the option most suited to your model and confirm; type
Code:
init 5
You'll return to the graphical login with the new mouse working.
Return to the virtual console and logout; hit ctrl+alt+F7 for the graphical login.
Old 11th September 2005, 09:17 PM
Snake-Eyes Offline

alright. i couldnt do that, when i hit ctrl+alt+f1 it went to a blank screen. but i put my usb mouse in and went to the harware browser it saw both mice. Only thing is the laser part wont work. i can click but it goes to the top right corner and stays there and the laser turns off completely. but the usb mouse works fine. idk. pls help, and thnx for this too.

Tags
mouse, optical, ps or 2