Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd August 2005, 06:42 PM
pugazh78 Offline

Configuring Wireless Network with FC3.0

Hi,
I am trying to set up my personal PC with Fedora Core 3 Linux operating system. I am having troubles in setting up my wireless network. After struggling hard for nearly two days, I made it to work. But, the connection doesnt seem to persist. As soon as I browse one site, I loose the internet connection. This looks very strange to me. When I issue iwconfig command, it says 0Bytes/sec as the bit rate.

More details about my wireless connection configuration
I am using Dlink-DWL 122 USB wireless adapter
I downloaded windows driver files (.inf and .sys) for dwl122 and used ndiswrapper to configure wlan0

I also observed that, the connection is not getting detected at the startup. I verified that, the ifcfg-wlan0 file has ONBOOT=yes. I also modified the modprobe.conf to have an alias to wlan0. Even after doing all these things, it fails to detect the network at the startup. So, I was forced to run dhclient each time I login in to the system to detect the network. And more strangely, this doesnt work at times !!!!

Does anyone have any idea about how to solve these problems. I can provide more datails if needed. As I am a novice to both linux and networking, please bare with me, if the questions are stupid !!!

Thanks in advance,
pugazh
Old 22nd August 2005, 10:51 PM
willieray Offline

did you follow the basic ndis steps?

1. ndiswrapper -i /path/to/driver.inf

2. ndiswrapper -l (see that your adapter and hardware are loaded)

3. ndiswrapper -m (adds info to modules.conf

check dmesg to make sure everything was loaded ok. post the output dmesg about the adapter
~willieray Registered Linux User #371168
#include <beer.h>

Computer Science is as much about computers as astronomy is about telescopes
-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (1930-2002)

Tags
configuring, fc30, network, wireless