Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th August 2005, 05:23 PM
Cantrade Offline

Internal Error Problem

I just installed Fedora 4 and have a curious situation. I did an upgrade from Fedora 2 and then rebooted the system. With some minor glitches the system got up and was working. Then I logged out and tried to log back in and I got an "internal error". I reinstalled the system yesterday and it worked. This morning I tried to log in and got the "internal error" message at the log in screen.

The actual message:
Cannot start session due to some internal error.

Pressing "OK" birngs up this:
Your session lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean there is some installation problem or that you may be out of disk space. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

(Logging in with failsafe session produces identical results.)

Details of error:
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp.
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a -w/var/log/wtmp -u/var/run/utmp -x"/:o. Xservers" -h " -1 " :o" "don"
session_child_run: could not exec/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession stratkde.

The system is a AMD Athlon with a 20 GB HD and 256 MB. I do not think disk space is a problem since this is a box that is dedicated to one purpose and has minimal application software installed. When it was working I used Webmin to install an RPM package of KPSK, a ham radio program, and the system worked well after that was done.

Any ideas??

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2005, 02:25 AM
Jman Offline

Looks like you are trying to start KDE. Try to get to a failsafe terminal and run
Code:
startkde
This script should load KDE for you. Also, try setting your default desktop by running
Code:
switchdesk kde
I think the setting of which desktop you prefer got confused somehow.

Tags
error, internal, problem