Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th August 2005, 08:47 PM
CuCullin Offline

User Friendly Distro for a Non-Technical Linux Lover?

So, my roommate has fallen in love with linux. Currently his laptop has FC3 on it, its a slightly older compaq (about a 1ghz processors I believe, its about 2 yrs old iirc). DWL-G650+ wifi card, and then the basic laptop crap (touchpad, etc, etc).

Heres the deal. The wifi card works like crap in Fedora, and he likes to play online poker. He also watches DVD's on the laptop, listens to music, etc, etc. I'm thinking an easier distro for him, ie: more friendly, I was thinking SuSe, Xandros, Lycoris, Linspire, whatever, and paying a hundred bucks or so for it is not a problem. The only apps he uses really is firefox, OOo, etc.

So anyone have any recommendations?
Old 19th August 2005, 11:25 PM
fpoole Offline

Kubuntu and OpenSuSE are probably good choices. Mandriva isn't bad either.
Fedora 11 x64 | Tyan Thunder 3600B | 2x AMD Opteron 2376 "Shanghai" 2.3GHz Quad-Core CPUs | 16GB RAM Registered ECC DDR2 667 | Sapphire RadeonHD 4550 GPU | OCZ Apex 125GB SATA II SSD [ / ] | Seagate 1TB SATA HDD [ /home ]
Old 19th August 2005, 11:29 PM
gavinw6662 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpoole
Kubuntu and OpenSuSE are probably good choices. Mandriva isn't bad either.

I would second mandriva, I dl'd that the other day just to 'try' out another distro, and after 2 hours I removed it. Don't get me wrong, it is a great distro, and comes with many cool programs, but it didn't cut it for me cause it was 'too user-friendly'. There is a pretty menu for everything. But in all, it's hardware detection is amazing, and it's ability to be configured through countless menus makes it easy to get a long with.
Old 19th August 2005, 11:30 PM
kosmosik Offline

when it comes to hardware support all is essentially the same - there is one Linux and this is kernel (drivers and so on) so if one hardware works flawlessly in one distro it will on other - but if it has problems on one it surely will have them anywhere. Fedora is quite good when it comes to binary only dirvers - most of them are aviable as 3rd party packages somewhere...
Old 19th August 2005, 11:48 PM
bubudiu Offline

Talking Yeah FC3 (Fedora Core 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin
So anyone have any recommendations?
Yeah FC3 (Fedora Core 3) What do you expect on a Fedora forum?

FC3 Firefox Start Page FC3 Firefox Start Page Download FC3 Hardening Guide FC3 Kernel Recompile Guide

Capt Bubudiu "Sheriff"
Old 20th August 2005, 03:33 AM
ramibow Offline

FC3 is great. I've also tried Xandros and Ubuntu.
Old 20th August 2005, 03:46 AM
imdeemvp Offline

Mandriva does a good job and so does FEDORA.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 20th August 2005, 04:26 AM
fpoole Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdeemvp
Mandriva does a good job and so does FEDORA.
Yes, indeed, but Fedora does have a lot more to contend with for the new user. Distros like Ubuntu fit on one CD simply because there isn't such a rich selection of software available by default. Instead, GUI integration seems to be key, despite CLI efficiency and even ease-of-use. Because Ubuntu is so graphical, I reconfigured X manually, crashed it, and had to boot into tty1 and cp a backup of my old conf file.
Fedora 11 x64 | Tyan Thunder 3600B | 2x AMD Opteron 2376 "Shanghai" 2.3GHz Quad-Core CPUs | 16GB RAM Registered ECC DDR2 667 | Sapphire RadeonHD 4550 GPU | OCZ Apex 125GB SATA II SSD [ / ] | Seagate 1TB SATA HDD [ /home ]
Old 20th August 2005, 08:08 AM
macgregor Offline

I worked for Mandrive back when they were Mandrakelinux/Mandrakesoft and I'd have to say that Mandrakelinux was extremely user-friendly.. too user-friendly for me in fact - which is why use Fedora now. Have him try the download edition of Mandriva and see what he thinks.
Old 20th August 2005, 09:57 AM
tomcat Offline

Newcomer? Mandriva of course. By far the best distro to begin with IMHO.