Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th August 2005, 06:06 PM
FoxyPink Offline

Cool Seagate hard drives

My office have purchased Dell computers that contained Seagate hard drives. Several of computers have crashed, which confuses me because I have heard that Seagate is "top of the line". Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 8th August 2005, 06:25 PM
madscientist Offline

Any hard drive can crash. A colleague of mine once ordered five brand new Seagate 300 GB SATA drives for a RAID and three of them were dead on arrival. I purchased a total of twelve Seagate 300 GB SATA drives for two RAIDs that I built, and every single one came up fine and are continuing to function beautifully after four months of service.

Different people have crappy experiences with different hard drive manufacturers and then proceed to stay away from that particular manufacturer whenever possible. At the end of the day, choosing between Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate winds up being a crapshoot.
Old 8th August 2005, 07:10 PM
pparks1 Offline

FoxyPink,

My experience with Seagate has been very good. My company too had a bad run of Dell's....in terms of hard drives. However, for us it was the Maxtors that were dying in them. We complained to Dell and specifically demanded they send Seagate replacements. The Seagates have been performing just great for us. Are you sure that these failures were Seagates?
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 8th August 2005, 07:43 PM
FoxyPink Offline

Yes, they were Seagates. It's so strange; I keep doing research online and they seem to be very good. I'm unsure of what the problem is...but maybe it's as MADSCIENTIST says, "Any Hard Drive can crash". Very odd.
Old 8th August 2005, 07:59 PM
fpoole Offline

I've had 4 different Seagates, two running perfectly right now. madscientist probably hit the money on this one.
Fedora 11 x64 | Tyan Thunder 3600B | 2x AMD Opteron 2376 "Shanghai" 2.3GHz Quad-Core CPUs | 16GB RAM Registered ECC DDR2 667 | Sapphire RadeonHD 4550 GPU | OCZ Apex 125GB SATA II SSD [ / ] | Seagate 1TB SATA HDD [ /home ]
Old 8th August 2005, 09:32 PM
MaegRil Offline

Yeah, any HDD could crash & burn.
Though, personally, I'll choose Seagate anyday. Even though performance isn't always as good as other brands, the 5 year warranty on all drives is far better than a few extra MB/sec.
Old 8th August 2005, 09:51 PM
mugs Offline

I have 3 Seagate Drives and they have worked fine for me.

AMD XP 3000+|1024 DDR|2 X 160 GB Seagate|XFX FX 5500 256 MB|DVD|Toshiba 3500A 16X Dual Layer DVDRW|Audigy LS|
Old 9th August 2005, 02:06 PM
FoxyPink Offline

I'm wondering, do you think there was a defect in a batch produced recently? My supervisor believes this is so and would like to know if others feel the same way.
Old 9th August 2005, 02:10 PM
fsck Offline

Try sticking the model number (ST??????) into groups.google.com and see if anyone else is talking about problems with the same type of drive. Hard drive manufacturers can be very reticent to admit to "faulty batches", so seagate will probably just tell you there's nothing wrong.

Tags
drives, hard, seagate