Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th August 2005, 06:51 PM
corsair2056 Offline

Which LAN Instant Messenger?

Hi,
Is there any LAN instant messenger that can be docked into the gnome-panel? I need to communicate with a winpopup compatible lan messenger on a windows workstation.
I have already tried LinPopUp (v.2.0.6), but it cannot be iconized to the gnome-panel, so its use is irritating.
What are the alternatives? Is it possible to use gaim, gossip or any other internet IM for lan chat?
Old 6th August 2005, 05:41 AM
Jman Offline

You can certainly use Gaim with any of it's supported protocols, but that would require an Internet connection.

You could setup an internal Jabber server.

Both of these don't use the smb message protocol.

For KDE you have klinpopup and maybe a kopete plugin.
Old 6th August 2005, 01:46 PM
huw-l Offline

Is this Windows Messenger (e.g the protocol that MSN chat uses) or Windows Messenging Service (the annouing protocol that's resposible for 90% of the popups on windows boxes)? If it's the former then gaim will work just fine as long as you have an acount on the server. If it's the latter then I think you are out of luck.
Old 7th August 2005, 02:03 AM
corsair2056 Offline

Thank you for your replies. Finally I decided to use just gaim for all my IM needs. I 'm setting up a jabber server right now as Jman suggested.

I downloaded jabberd2 (2.0s9). Here are some notes about that:
I was not able to compile jabberd2 with mysql support in FC4. An error message about mysql client libraries occured everytime. I installed all the mysql packages, but no luck. So, I used the Berkeley DB backend. Jabberd compiled without problems.

I am configuring the server right now, the documentation is great and I hope that it will work ok after I am finished with it. I 'll report back.
Old 7th August 2005, 03:34 AM
gavinw6662 Offline

we used jabber at my last job. It was a very nice IM service. I don't know if it was our setup, or an issue with the program, but it required a db rebuild from time to time. But in all, highly recommend it.
Old 7th August 2005, 03:58 PM
corsair2056 Offline

Everything is setup and working perfectly. Though I have one little problem. How do I start jabberd as user "jabber" on boot?
I have created the "jabber" user and have set the permissions to config files, data, pid and log directories.
I ve found a startup rc script in jabberd cvs, but even though I correct the paths and add the "su - jabber -c ...." in the start section (as stated in the documentation), it gives warning of type "Permission Denied" when I start the service. But the permissions are ok. When I start the service manually as user "jabber" everything works. The init script I mentioned is tested on FC1. I really don't know how to edit SysV init scripts.

Will it work if I add this line to rc.local?

su - jabber -c jabberd

I am afraid that this way it will get stuck there and not procede to the login prompt...
Some help please...
Old 7th August 2005, 04:17 PM
corsair2056 Offline

Now I figured out that

su - jabber -c jabberd &

would be more correct if I walk the rc.local way. But I would really like to know how to create an init script for a service. Are there any howtos? Is it specific to the distribution or is there a general way of creating such scripts?

Tags
instant, lan, messenger