Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd August 2005, 01:01 PM
stim141 Offline

Performance slower than Win XP on older machine?

Linux newbie Running Core 4 - GNOME on an ancient Dell PII 450 with 384 ram and a STB RIVA TNT with 16 mb. Previously was using Windows XP SP2 which ran flawlessly with Firefox, Office, Adobe Acrobat as well as others. CPU usage occassionally maxed out at 100% but not with just scrolling through an Excel spreadsheet or when moving around the screen. With Core 4 just moving a window around on the desktop will bring processor usage to 100% and just scrolling through a spreadsheet doc will bring the CPU usage from about 6% to nearly 100% sustained. Have installed the NVIDIA drivers (do get the splash screen), Java runtime. Any idea how to optimize? Is there a way to turn off drag window content like XP? Or are there any other optimization tricks? Also notice the disk access when performing mundane tasks like accessing menus gets pretty intensive. Running system monitor shows no excess memory usage - normally 100 MB when just running Firefox and System monitor. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 3rd August 2005, 04:09 PM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
Check out the readme.txt file on the nvidia site concernig riva tnt
some of those are not supported
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...667/README.txt

the readme mentions that "These GPUs will continue to be maintained through the special legacy NVIDIA GPU driver releases."

You might need to install a older driver package manually.

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 3rd August 2005, 05:39 PM
sirbrett Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Check out the readme.txt file on the nvidia site concernig riva tnt
some of those are not supported
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...667/README.txt

the readme mentions that "These GPUs will continue to be maintained through the special legacy NVIDIA GPU driver releases."

You might need to install a older driver package manually.
if you get the spash screen then you got the right package. as far as making the machine little more snappy, you could try turning off some un needed services, use fluxbox instead of gnome, ummm i use Epiphany instead of firefox, uses gtk directly so it "feels" faster, ummm not sure what else you could do.
Old 3rd August 2005, 09:13 PM
Instrumental Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrett
if you get the spash screen then you got the right package. as far as making the machine little more snappy, you could try turning off some un needed services, use fluxbox instead of gnome, ummm i use Epiphany instead of firefox, uses gtk directly so it "feels" faster, ummm not sure what else you could do.
Personally I'd recommend XFCE if you like gnome and use gnome apps, it looks similar to gnome uses gtk(so all your gnome apps will be just as fast ) and is pretty easy to use screenshots here.

I'm really not sure why its hogging your cpu like that. If you could give us any more details it might help :P
Old 3rd August 2005, 11:47 PM
stim141 Offline

Thanks for the input.

Definately seems like it video related or the CPU/interface load is just too much. The TNT is supported but I'm going to have to research a little more to see whats getting bogged down and try to tweak the Nvidia settings. When running system monitor CPU% table shows definately much less than 100% although the CPU meter jumps to 100% or 90% when moving windows but is fine in Realplayer when listening to MP3's or even scrolling/running OpenOffice. Since my Dell XPS R450 is pre AGP 4X its going to be hard to find a vid card that will boost the system's performance significantly unless I try a PCI card and disable the AGP port - if that makes sense. But at this point the Dell's pretty much at its EOL and I shouldn't put a nickle into it. As it stands the sytem is pretty peppy except for the lags and duplicating images when moving windows on the desktop - like the screen refreshes are lagging. Most likely if I'm able to turn off the drag window with content it should work a little smoother. Also running a questionable and very slow drive that I'm going to have to swap with another to see if that makes a difference somehow.

Tags
machine, older, performance, slower, win