Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th July 2005, 04:58 PM
OutCell Offline

Display Problem

Hi,

I installed FC4 yesterday on my Dell dimension desktop. I had WinXP and tried to work both OS's but had problems with XP not booting but FC4 was working fine, which was ok since i was going to get a way to work this problem,
BUT today i changed the display resolution in FC4 and i get a blank screen with
"1: Analog Input
Cannot Display this Video Mode"

Can anybody help me with this problem plz? This is my first time using linux so simplicity would be highly appreciated
I tried to play around with "fsck" (Eventhough i don't know what is it exactly) when i got to a point where i had to "fsck" without -a or -p.. i forced a check which turned out ok (I think) after answering yes to all questions; but i still can't login and still get the Cannot Display Video Mode

thanks
Old 29th July 2005, 06:05 PM
steve941

XP not booting is probably a grub issut you have XP and FC on same drive right?
boot from FC4 disc 1 .. type 'linux rescue'
say no to network initialization and no to detecting/mounting FC..
if you have a boot partition type:
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/source hda if IDE hd, sda if SATA drive, hda2 depends on your partion setup if you don't know any of this you may have to reboot rescue and say yes to mounting FC4
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/source/boot
chroot /mnt/source
cd boot
cd grub
nano grub.conf
-- post this on here so I can look to see why XP isn't booting, also where did you install grub to the MBR?
--exit
type:
cd /
cd etc
cd X11
ls --will list files and directories
rm xorg.conf
also remove any other xorg files
reboot to FC4, screen will flash at text login and it will ask you if you want to configure X, I say no
then type system-config-display at prompt --after becoming root
Old 29th July 2005, 06:27 PM
OutCell Offline

Thanks Steve,
You are correct, i tried to edit the grub.conf file to add WinXP (As instructed in APC Mag- Computer Mag in Australia). When i try to edit grub.conf, the system doesn't allow it (No permission)! I tried accessing the file using terminal but didn't know how to run a file in terminal i am new to this command-line instructions (Trying to learn, i use DOS commands i know before so far); i used "./[FileName]" but this didn't work either; i have a feeling that this is totally wrong though :S
I installed FC4 off a DVD, i will try to boot from the DVD as you said and type linux rescue.
I hope i do these commands right though thanks alot..

Well i re-partitioned my Drive before installing FC4. C-Drive should be WinXP and D-Drive should be FC4, this is what i understood.. I used Partition Magic, and intalled FC4 by using the install OS in Partition Magic :S

I noted down your comments Steve, thanks.. I will try them and report any other problems if any..
Thanks

Last edited by OutCell; 29th July 2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 30th July 2005, 01:16 AM
steve941

when you edit grub you have to be root in terminal
su -
(password)
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf
as for the rescue you will have to modify those commands that have hda2 and you might have to try a few variations to get it
-another option is having rescue automatically detect/mount it, just make sure you know where it mounts it, I don't know though
- ./<file> is correct to execute a file, but you normally have to be root AND sometime beforehand you have to type chmod a+x <file> --or something like that command then do ./<file>
Old 30th July 2005, 12:47 PM
OutCell Offline

Thank you so much Steve.. This is very helpful..
I couldn't do the rescue so i installed FC4 again (Since it has been only a day and i had no important data on) and it is working fine now
I also got to include WinXP in the boot loader from the start so it is working fine, but i want to change the timeout from 3 to 10 as it is too fast..
I will try to edit grub now using the way you mentioned, it is true, the system always tells me that i don't have permission because i am not root, so now that i know how i can proceed with this

Thanks again Steve,

p.s. Is there a site or a file with these commands that i can take a look at?
Old 30th July 2005, 06:42 PM
steve941

i don't know about a site for the commands, but there there are a bunch in the sbin folder..
if you are root in terminal and trying to edit grub, and getting permission denied, that's strange but you can try setting selinux enforcing=disabled in system-config-security.
Old 31st July 2005, 12:43 AM
OutCell Offline

thanks will try that
Old 31st July 2005, 03:57 AM
CuCullin Offline

outcell, did you "su -", including the hyphen?
Old 31st July 2005, 04:36 PM
OutCell Offline

Hi CuCullin..

Well i didn't at first but then i did and it worked..
To change to root (What i did was):-
su -l root (Then enter)
password (Then enter)

then i got root access and the terminal name changed, "username@localhost" became "root@localhost"..
Thanks again Steve..
But i still can't get grub.conf to open in text editor so i can't edit it
I tried gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf (Didn't work for me :S)
and tried to go to grub folder and ./grub.conf (Also didn't work)
So i have to know how to do this sometime soon

Last edited by OutCell; 31st July 2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 31st July 2005, 04:43 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

try gedit /etc/grub.conf
Old 31st July 2005, 04:46 PM
OutCell Offline

Will try that Nick.. Thanks

Edit:
Thanks Nick.. It did work perfectly and i edited the timeout from 5 to 10 ..
How can i convert a jpg file (dragon.jpg) to an xpm file (dragon.xpm) so i can add this picture as the boot screen.. I have a magazine that said:
1) convert -size 500x330 dragon.jpg -resize 640x480 -colors 15 -profile '*' dragon.xpm
2) gzip dragon.xpm
3) Copy resulting xpm.gz file to /boot/grub directory
4) Edit grub.conf splashimage with the file name dragon.xpm.gz

but this didn't work i got an error from no.1
Convert: '*' : no such file or directory ?
I am using FC4 and the magazine didn't specify which linux distro. is the tutorial for, so i guessed all linux have the same terminal commands..

Last edited by OutCell; 31st July 2005 at 05:20 PM.

Tags
display, problem