Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th July 2005, 01:00 AM
gecko Offline

DVD burners and FC4

I'm planning to add a DVD burner to my Fedora box, like this one:

http://www.burnworld.com/dvd-burner/pioneer-dvr-a08.htm

What is the software support like for this burner in Fedora? Will it be recognized? Also, what software can I use to burn DVDs?

Thanks,
G
Old 26th July 2005, 02:05 AM
gecko Offline

By the way, I'm also considering the Samsung TS-H552U/Nero Linux package:

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/articl...50602094033764

I'd love to hear if anyone has used it. Looks pretty good to me, except I don't see explicit FC4 support.

G
Old 26th July 2005, 02:06 AM
jtang613 Offline

The Linux kernel (and thus Fedora) readily recognizes 99% of modern ATAPI burners. You can use the K3B, Xcdroast, Graveman, Gnomebaker, Nero Linux, etc GUIs to burn DVDs. CLI tools such as mkisofs, growisofs, cdrecord-prodvd, dvd+rw-tools, etc also work great.

A good idea might be to search Google to see if there are any known issues with that burner and Linux.

BTW: Nero Linux is commercial $oftware ($70us). The software I mentioned above is free and open source - and just as good, if not better than Nero.

hth,
Jason

Last edited by jtang613; 26th July 2005 at 02:08 AM.
Old 26th July 2005, 02:28 AM
cnarramoore Offline

If you own the windows version of Nero then NeroLinux is free.
Old 26th July 2005, 02:36 AM
sigtom Offline

K3B works great for CDs and DVDs burning.
Old 26th July 2005, 08:04 PM
gecko Offline

Thanks--this is exactly what I needed to know, and it looks really good. I have one followup question. Do any of these programs support doing divx/xvid rips from DVD, or burning a DVD from a divx/xvid file? This is what I found:

k3b: video CD and DVD ripping support, but I found no mention of divx/xvid to dvd-video
xcdroast: dvd-video is "experimental"
graveman: no dvd-video support
gnomebaker: no mention of any dvd support
cdrecord-prodvd: couldn't find a feature list
dvd+rw-tools: couldn't find a feature list

G
Old 26th July 2005, 09:24 PM
jtang613 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko
Thanks--this is exactly what I needed to know, and it looks really good. I have one followup question. Do any of these programs support doing divx/xvid rips from DVD, or burning a DVD from a divx/xvid file? This is what I found:

k3b: video CD and DVD ripping support, but I found no mention of divx/xvid to dvd-video
xcdroast: dvd-video is "experimental"
graveman: no dvd-video support
gnomebaker: no mention of any dvd support
cdrecord-prodvd: couldn't find a feature list
dvd+rw-tools: couldn't find a feature list

G
k3b can theoretically rip DVDs to divx. But I suspect its not very good at it. The best program for the job is called DVD::Rip. In the Yum repos, it's known as perl-Video-DVDRip.

K3B supports the creation of DVD-video compatible ISO images within the GUI, as does xcdroast. The mkisofs CLI utility is used to create all forms of ISO image - including DVD-video compatible images. The growisofs and cdrecord-prodvd tools are CLI programs are used to write the ISO (and other) images to cd/dvd.

The important thing to remember is that all these tools require an existing DVD-video compatible file structure (the VIDEO_TS/ directory) to operate on. There are Linux programs capable of properly encoding / transcoding video into DVD-video format (transcode, mencoder, avidemux, etc). Then the dvdauthor CLI tools is used to generate the DVD-video file structures. The dvdauthor CLI tool also has usable GUI frontends such as qDVDauthor and DVDstyler.

DVD-video creation in Linux is still pretty new, but it's getting better. Also, the forum also has numerous threads discussing dvd creation, try a search.

Jason
Old 28th July 2005, 12:22 AM
gecko Offline

Well, it's disappointing that it's so complex, but thanks for the pointers. I'll check it out.

G
Old 28th July 2005, 01:19 AM
nandowong Offline

you can get dvdstyler from livna, I used it to make a dvd with video backgrounds 10 menus and scene selection and it workds great. at the end it will let you create an iso you can burn.
Old 28th July 2005, 05:10 AM
chili555 Offline

Mega-dittos for K3b. I did a backup of my wife's entire /home with one drag-n-drop and a two minute burn last night. You can even install K3b in gnome!

You might also look at DVD:Rip. It's a gui front-end to all the command line tools needed. http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/ Freshrpms has this as perl-Video-DVDRip. It's a little touchy about which version of transcode it wants, however.

From the README: - Using transcode newer than version 0.6.14 is *not* recommended. At least subtitling is broken for these versions, and it seems there are still several NPTL related issues making problems.

Last edited by chili555; 28th July 2005 at 05:20 AM.
Old 28th July 2005, 07:23 AM
insineratehymn Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnarramoore
If you own the windows version of Nero then NeroLinux is free.
you have to use your serial number from your windows version of nero of course...

Tags
burners, dvd, fc4