Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th July 2005, 07:35 AM
mh10190 Offline

Location: New York City/New York/USA/North America/Western Hemisphere/Earth/Soloar System/Milkyway/Universe
Home Media Server

Hi all
I want to setup a server at my place
What i want to do with it is connect it to my TV and Stereo
Store all my Videos/Music/Pictures/Games on it
I also want to store all my Files on it
I want to access it with gFTP and VNC
Using my laptop as a remote i would like to play my media at my own will
I have 900Gb of stuff (i estimate)
Im thinking 4 300Gb HDs in a raid 5
I want to access it from any computer and play my media and veiw my files whenever
Is this possible at all using Linux
If so how do you recomend me to accomplish this task
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 25th July 2005, 07:44 AM
fatal_error Offline

Hello,

if you want to use raid5 and you own 900 Gigs of data, you'll need 1800 GB (!) of space because of RAID redundancy. As for setting up the server you mentioned, that's easy: For linux clients setup a nfs server (man nfs), the equivalent for windows clients is samba. One thing: I'm not sure what you mean't "playing games": playing games off the network won't perform well (well Tuxraces will maybe, Doom3 will *not* ^^)

greetz
Old 25th July 2005, 07:52 AM
sigtom Offline

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?q=home+...en-US:official

See how that works? You type in the subject your interested in and you get a whole buncha results, that you can browse. The above search used the terms 'Home Media Server Linux'. So just using the few terms you used in your posts title, youd have found answers to your questions already.
Old 30th August 2005, 09:05 PM
dewhite Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatal_error
Hello,

if you want to use raid5 and you own 900 Gigs of data, you'll need 1800 GB (!) of space because of RAID redundancy. As for setting up the server you mentioned, that's easy: For linux clients setup a nfs server (man nfs), the equivalent for windows clients is samba. One thing: I'm not sure what you mean't "playing games": playing games off the network won't perform well (well Tuxraces will maybe, Doom3 will *not* ^^)

greetz
I think he means saving the image files of games he's either purchased or downloaded. Also, RAID5 only uses one block device from the array for parity storage (well really it uses all of them, but only the storage space of one) RAID5 storage capacity = (n-1)*s, where n is number of devices and s is storage capacity of the smallest device, thus 4 x 300gb drives does equal 900gb of unformatted storage space.

As to the OP, sorry I can't give any _usefull_ advice, as I'm here searching for answers to the same question(s) you have. I will say I've found alot of good information searching the gentoo forums, but I'm searching around elsewhere trying to find more n00b friendly explanations of everything...

BTW sigtom, why don't you try googling for 'EVMS RAID5 GROWING ARRAY' and see if you come with anything written in the last 12 months in the english language? I've been googling my ass off for a few days now, and I just can't seem to find anything except other people asking the same questions I have - and getting blown off by guys like you who do not have the answers. I know and love google just as much as the next guy, but sometimes when you have really specific questions its good to try to make a more personal exchange with someone that has the knowledge you seek...
Old 31st August 2005, 04:17 AM
sigtom Offline

dew whered did the OP say he had problems with RAID? He wanted to know if it was possible to have a media server with linux...I pointed him to google...which DOES show that it is possible. Now if your having prolems with RAID, thats a whole nother story. The OPs question was easily answered with google. Get off my ass.
Old 31st August 2005, 05:42 AM
dewhite Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtom
dew whered did the OP say he had problems with RAID? He wanted to know if it was possible to have a media server with linux...I pointed him to google...which DOES show that it is possible. Now if your having prolems with RAID, thats a whole nother story. The OPs question was easily answered with google. Get off my ass.
I probably shouldn't have jumped on you like that. But everywhere you go, you see people ripping on people for asking questions.

BTW the OP says in his post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh10190
I have 900Gb of stuff (i estimate)
Im thinking 4 300Gb HDs in a raid 5
The first reply from fatal_error, who was incorrect, but trying to be helpful said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatal_error
if you want to use raid5 and you own 900 Gigs of data, you'll need 1800 GB (!) of space because of RAID redundancy.
To me, it seemed that RAID5 setup was among his questions, which also included setting up SAMBA, NFS, VNC, and maybe even something like MythTV. Again, sorry for being rude in a place where I'm new, but after a while you get tired of seeing your questions asked over and over again and answered with equal rudeness.

Tags
home, media, server