Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2005, 10:00 PM
jcwinnie Offline

Thumbs down Upgrade FC3 -> FC4 -> No Love

Attempting apt-get dist-upgrade using Freshrpms repositories warned me that I could lose system functionality, so I avoided proceeding. Smart, right?

Instead, I got the FC4 CDs and ran upgrade. Guess what?

Oh, it happened to you, too. So, now I have:
  • No rpm
  • No yum
  • No apt-get
  • No up2date
  • No love!

All those things about which I was warned came to pass. I am able to log in via console and that is about it.

I notice a new error on startup having to do with rpc.idmapd that may be an indicator of what is wrong.

Also, I ran
Code:
 ldd `which rpm`
The following were NOT FOUND:
- librpm-4.3.so
- librpmdb-4.3.so
- librpmio-4.3.so

Before you recommend a fresh install, please tell me how I can protect the system backup, which is on two other partitions.

Last edited by jcwinnie; 24th July 2005 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Style
Old 24th July 2005, 11:26 PM
jcwinnie Offline

Oh, and I have this system administrator's problem, too, http://fcp.fedoranews.org/modules/ne...16358&forum=23 , i.e., libssl.so.5: cannot open shared object.
Old 24th July 2005, 11:28 PM
imdeemvp Offline

I always recommed to do a data backup such as bookmarks, music, photos, docs, etc and do a fresh installation.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 25th July 2005, 12:47 AM
jcwinnie Offline

Hm, before posting this thread, I had read the thread http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59393 and tried what was suggested to no avail.

I went back; read it again; and, followed the link to the Bug Report 156907

I followed Paul Nasrat's directions at first with no success. Then I made sure that I was pointing to where I knew the specific RPMs resided. Then I followed another key step, i.e.,
Code:
/sbin/ldconfig
It worked.

I still had to remove yum (two versions) and reinstall it, but I now could do so with rpm.
I now am running
Code:
yum update
Which is a much better place than I have been for several days.

While the solution dealt with a bug in an earlier Rawhide version, Ling Li reports that the bug is still in FC4 final, which is what I had used to upgrade.

Note: If you use selinunx, there are additonal recommendations in the report that may help.
Best of luck!
Old 25th July 2005, 03:59 AM
iamroot Offline

I would recommend not to use multiple installation options. If you use Yum, stick to it.
Old 25th July 2005, 11:39 AM
jcwinnie Offline

Well, it qualified joy in Mudville. I do have rpm again. Yay!

I was able to run rpm -Uvh on rpm-libs, but not rpm because of rpm-build and rpm-python dependencies with the latter.

Now I have a more subtle problem, having to do with Apache configuration, something about OpenSSLCertificate missing. I think that is why yum and up2date continue to fail.

Still no apt-get and only console login is possible.
Old 26th July 2005, 12:49 PM
jcwinnie Offline

More qualified joy in Mudville... I got a bigger hammer.

Translation: I forced some things, which I really, really, really, really, really, really dislike doing.

First I made sure that I had a copy of the current gnome-vfs2 rpm along with yum, dbus and hal packages.

Then I temporarily removed dbus and hal with the bigger hammer
Code:
rpm -e --nodeps <the older versions of dbus and hal>
Reinstalled them
Code:
rpm -ivh <the current versions of dbus and hal>
Followed by an upgrade of gnome-vfs2
Code:
rpm -Uvh <the current version of gnome-vfs2>
It also was necessary to remove and reinstall yum. With those forced changes, I regained use of yum and was able to run yum upgrade successfully. Yay!

I also used the same trick with apt and up2date, i.e., removed and reinstalled them, to get them to work.

Nonetheless, my joy is less than unbounded. I have no GNOME Desktop Environment and unreliable KDE similar to http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=63976 and worst of all -- No Firefox! C'mon, that was a kick below the belt.

After I removed FC3 / FC4 duplications to make apt-get happy, it reports a host of problem including a destablizing one with raidtools. ("Don't proceed unless you know what you are doing," it again warns.) Uh-oh! Wasn't I just there? I know, I'll rely on the FC4 CDs, they'll help me.
Old 26th July 2005, 05:13 PM
jcwinnie Offline

Back with the Fox

I removed and reinstalled Firefox and have regained use of my everyday browser. I also now have a GNOME Desktop Enviornment, albeit a disfunctional one, after
Code:
yum groupinstall GNOME

Last edited by jcwinnie; 26th July 2005 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 27th July 2005, 05:40 PM
jcwinnie Offline

Well, the big bambino is batting two for three now. I have regained use of KDE and got a positive outcome to testing XFCE4.

Gnome remains, in GNASA lingo, a Gno-go. This may have to do with the desktop manager being Metacity that starts a GNOME session on my system. Time will tell. In any case, two users are still in shambles. Wandering around in a daze, moaning "Oh! Gnome is me, Gnome is me."

Otherwise, there is general jubilation in Mudville.

Tags
>, fc3, fc4, love, upgrade