Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th July 2005, 09:39 PM
jtang613 Offline

Halloween Documents

This is for all the nay-sayers.

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

And for a brief (heated) response to those documents from Eric Raymond of OSI: http://www.catb.org/~esr/not-the-osi...ween-rant.html

It's a genuinely interesting set of documents. And while there is undoubtedly a little bias toward OSI in the commentary, the bulk of the documents (and common sense) paint a pretty troubling picture. My personal research and knowledge of MS and SCO history seems to confirm much of what's been covered. Groklaw has also covered much discussion on this topic from a more legally-minded perpective.

And for one of the best pro-opensource commentaries around: http://www.xiph.org/about.html
It's centered around a media rights discussion, but makes many valid and well spoken points that apply to nearly all aspects of open and free computing standards.

Just thought others might find this as interesting as I did,
Jason
Old 20th July 2005, 09:45 AM
bitrain Offline

From the article:
Quote:
Linux can win as long as services / protocols are commodities.
M$ is giving us directions...

Laptop: Nec Versa p550, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024MB ram, x300, 80 GB HD, bluetooth, 2915BG Wlan card
Desktop: Amd Athlon x2 4200+, 2GB ram, Geforce 7300GT 512MB silent, 160GB HD in a nice centurion 534 case :cool:
Old 2nd September 2006, 01:38 AM
cruiseoveride Offline

very interesting.
scardy cats http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween2.html
Quote:
* Note, however, that Compaq and Dell merely have to credibly threaten Linux adoption in order to push for lower OEM OS pricing.
Get Counted at http://counter.li.org/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD X3 710, ASUS M4N78-Pro, Visiontek ATi HD4870, Corsair 2GB Dual Channel Kit, 6x500Gb Western Digital Disks LVM2+RAID5
Old 2nd September 2006, 01:49 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
And how does it go?...you can see your enemies weakness, in how they attack you...

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 2nd September 2006, 02:23 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
And how does it go?...you can see your enemies weakness, in how they attack you...
...Indeed!
Old 2nd September 2006, 06:51 AM
Thetargos Online

Quote:
* Note, however, that Compaq and Dell merely have to credibly threaten Linux adoption in order to push for lower OEM OS pricing.
Well, Dell has spoken about why haven't they decided to ship a Linux box, and even when they do offer an Open Source friendly model... The reason they gave was consensus. Meaning they couldn't make tails and heads about which distribution to ship these machines with. Michael Dell said that if they decided to go with Red Hat, for instance, the Debian peeps simply go nuts and called them names, and what not, and if they decided to go with a Debianized distro, then SuSE or Mandrake users complained. In other words, nobody would be happy.

I wonder however, what would the situation be if they endorsed two of the main distros and have them as an option. Say Linspire/Xhandros/Ubuntu for the Debianites, and SuSE or Mandriva for the rest... I'd push Fedora, but given its "volatile" nature (in terms of so rapidly changing) it'd be a bit difficult to keep up... Though they could also be an updates repo/mirror for the download of new versions...

It wouldn't be much operative to them to supply more than two distros. Maybe two Desktop distro and at most one Pro-level server distro (Red Hat, I'd assume) or even better, offer a corporate Desktop machine (most likely with SLED/RHEL WS) and a "home" desktop (K/X/Ubuntu), that way they'd cover a lot of ground.

However, I'm not so sure that the argument peresented by Michael Dell as why they have not offered such a system... it holds too little water (IMO), most likely their reasons are to backfire at Microsoft's OEM license clauses, and being Dell (according to some statistic sites) the number one supplier of computer gear in the world, they're as heavy a heavy weight for hardwre as Microsoft is for software.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.

Last edited by Thetargos; 2nd September 2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 3rd September 2006, 12:22 AM
rappermas Offline

I wonder what Dell will say when I call them up, ask for a really good system and then demand that it come with NO operating system as I will be putting Linux on it. I'll demand that they ship it without an OS or I won't buy it.

VALOR:
HP Pavilion, Intel Pentium IV 3.2 GHz HT, 1 GB Corsair, nVIDIA Quadro FX 1100 (128 MB), SB Live!, HP 16X DVD-Writer 400i, 16X DVD-ROM

HPPAV:
HP Pavilion 8766C, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 640 MB PC-100 SDRAM (3 DIMMs), nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 (256 MB), ESS Maestro 2E, HP CD-Writer Plus (CD-RW 4X), Hitachi 8X DVD-ROM
Old 3rd September 2006, 12:25 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappermas
I wonder what Dell will say when I call them up, ask for a really good system and then demand that it come with NO operating system as I will be putting Linux on it. I'll demand that they ship it without an OS or I won't buy it.
That's a helluva good idea!

Dan
Old 3rd September 2006, 03:40 AM
rappermas Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledWeb
That's a helluva good idea!

Dan
Dad gommit! I know. If enough people did that....

VALOR:
HP Pavilion, Intel Pentium IV 3.2 GHz HT, 1 GB Corsair, nVIDIA Quadro FX 1100 (128 MB), SB Live!, HP 16X DVD-Writer 400i, 16X DVD-ROM

HPPAV:
HP Pavilion 8766C, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 640 MB PC-100 SDRAM (3 DIMMs), nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 (256 MB), ESS Maestro 2E, HP CD-Writer Plus (CD-RW 4X), Hitachi 8X DVD-ROM
Old 3rd September 2006, 04:36 AM
Thetargos Online

I only wish I had the cash to do that right now, I'd love to buy a high end machine from them without any OS on it.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 3rd September 2006, 05:03 AM
cruiseoveride Offline

you people are not getting the big picture here.
F**k the OS,
No one, nerds, engineers or your average joe give a rats ass what OS their system runs on.
At the end of the day the Computer is a machine, a machine which needs to do a job,
In our case this means can the applications that come with the OS do the job?
Can Linux do the job? I believe it can.
But how does the average Joe know anything about Linux, when RedHat, Novell, Ubuntu or whoever you like does not market their products? Why isnt it at my local computer shop? i want to see it on a PC at Future Shop or Best Buy, where is the Linux people? shoe mw the money???
If Delll was half as big as M$, then they would have put together their own OS if they intended to go with Open Source..
Don't forget Microsoft pays them to ship their OEM products,
When is Redhat or Suse, or who bloody cares, going to pay Dell to ship their OS???
When are the schools going to get Free Linux training, just like how M$ does, however this time, they wont get a heart attack when they find out how much the software costs?
Why isnt my University Using Linux? Its better than Microsoft? Is my University a bad place? Its an educational institution? Am I not correct? They should teach me what is good? wat is sustainable? and feasable?
or are they teaching me how to get a job?
Linux will never beat Microsoft
And these are words coming from someone who used a Mac first, then Unix, then BSD, then Linux and then finally in 1996, i used the notorious Microsoft Windows 95 OEM. wonderful os....my ass.
I switched to Linux permenently in 1996.
However much i'd love to see our penguin friend sit at Best Buy, it will never happen, cos we dont have the guts to stand up against the Redragon, nor have the power or money to market it.
If we did, why hasnt IBM, HP, SUN, RedHat, Novel, (to name a few) done it yet???
Why my friends???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD X3 710, ASUS M4N78-Pro, Visiontek ATi HD4870, Corsair 2GB Dual Channel Kit, 6x500Gb Western Digital Disks LVM2+RAID5

Last edited by cruiseoveride; 3rd September 2006 at 05:06 AM.
Old 3rd September 2006, 05:21 AM
cruiseoveride Offline

hay rappermas
u have a Creative X-Fi
i bought one and returned it the next day,
I went for an M-Audio instead,
you should do the same, your not going to get Linux support for it for at least another full year
Old 3rd September 2006, 07:22 AM
rappermas Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseoveride
hay rappermas
u have a Creative X-Fi
i bought one and returned it the next day,
I went for an M-Audio instead,
you should do the same, your not going to get Linux support for it for at least another full year
Yeah, but I did kinda buy the machine from Dell...so if I had the box for the card...

See, this is what I'm talking about! Companies ignoring the Linux community. Windows always gets everything first. Luckily, I have a card in there for Linux, an old Diamond or something or other. In Windows, where I game (tar and feather me if you like), it works perfectly. I just hate having linux always left behind.

VALOR:

HPPAV:
Old 3rd September 2006, 08:39 AM
w5set Offline

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl.../06/09/1242246
Old 3rd September 2006, 08:20 PM
cruiseoveride Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5set
who doesnt provide linux servers?
Closed Thread