Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th July 2005, 06:12 PM
Wareagle Offline

Network Manager Can't Scan?

I just installed Fedora 4 yesterday and am fairly new to Linux. I was able to get NetworkManager installed and running in my systray, but when I start it, I get a message saying that scanning is not available. I presume this means it is unable to scan for wireless networks in range and I must manually input the SSID for it to work.

Windows was able to do this just fine. I had an icon in my systray that I could double-click, and it would give me a list of wireless networks that it found. This is supposed to be the way NetworkManager works, right? So why can't my card scan? Do I need to update the drivers?

Fedora detects it as an Intersil PRISM2 11mbps wireless adapter. In Windows, it was a "Toshiba Wireless LAN mini PCI card." (It's an Orinoco chipset.)
Old 20th July 2005, 04:42 AM
Jman Offline

Update the kernel, like with
Code:
yum update
I distinctly remember a recent kernel change log containing "Make orinoco driver suck less. (Scanning/roaming/ethtool support)."

Tags
manager, network, scan

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search