Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th July 2005, 06:47 PM
powerskier Offline

Cool FC3 kernel: eth0: link now down ?

Hello,

I tried to remotly connect to my FC3 server last night and noticed that the system had turned off by itself. The only entry in any log that I can find that might indicate what happened is the following:

kernel: eth0: link now down.

I am using FC3 kernel 2.6.11-1.35 but have since updated to 1.372

Any ideas where I can try to track the problem? I live in a different city than my FC3 server and I cannot have it randomly turning off.

Thanks !!!!
Old 19th July 2005, 01:38 AM
kg4cbk Offline

Could your system be having a heat related problem? Did the system reboot or did the NIC just shutdown? Running uptime will tell you if the sytem rebooted recently.
Old 19th July 2005, 04:14 PM
powerskier Offline

I had a friend go try and reboot the system, and when he arrived the system was totally turned off.
The FC3 box is sitting in a co-location and there were no recorded power fluctuations...

Thanks for your comments, any other ideas ?
Old 19th July 2005, 04:36 PM
kg4cbk Offline

My initial guess is that you have either a heat problem causing the system to shutdown or you have a marginal power supply. If this has happened before and you have ruled out power loss as a problem you need to start looking at heat and power supply issues.

The other possibility is that the system has been compromised and someone is shutting it down on you. Run chkrootkit and rkhunter and review tripwire if you have that installed.

I would suspect a heat or power supply problem first however.

Tags
eth0, fc3, kernel, link