Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th July 2005, 04:38 AM
Metatheticator Offline

PCI: Failed to allocate mem

I'm a first-timer currently installing FC4. The installation was mostly uneventful, but now when I try to boot, it spits out something like "PCI: Failed to allocate mem", or something very similar to that. This line appears twice, which might correspond to my two sticks of RAM. Then when I press "I" for the interactive setup (or if I just wait for it to boot up the OS itself), the screen turns black and stays black until I give up and shut the comp off.

Any thoughts? Is this some non-critical message telling me what I already know (That I don't have any PCI drivers yet installed) or is it saying that my RAM's kaput?
Old 18th July 2005, 03:31 PM
tashirosgt Offline

What kind of motherboard do you have? What FC4 is this i386 or 64 bit? I don't think the error message specifically refers to your RAM but it never hurts to check. Does the install cd have memtest86 on it? You could test your memory with that.
You could try booting in the rescue mode from the install cd and changing your boot options in /boot/grub/grub.conf.
Get rid of "rhgb quiet" and try adding nopci. Look at the FC3 options given by Dog-One in http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthr...hlight=options
Old 19th July 2005, 12:00 AM
tashirosgt Offline

..and do you have a pci-express video card?

Tags
allocate, failed, mem, pci