Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th July 2005, 11:38 PM
Dieter Offline

FC3 on DELL Inspiron 7500

Hi,

I was trying to install FC3 on a DELL Inspiron 7500. The installation was uneventful. However, at the end of they day, when I want to boot, I just get the word GRUB in the upper left corner of the screen, nothing happens and eventually I power off. Any ideas what could have gone wrong? Thanks.
Old 15th July 2005, 02:16 AM
steve941

Are you trying to install and dual boot with windows, did you want to get rid of windows, are you installing on a 2nd hd?... How was the installation uneventful, where did it stop, did it finish? It sounds like your grub-boot loader-wasn't installed or properly installed. Get back with some more info...
Old 15th July 2005, 06:36 PM
Dieter Offline

Hi,

thanks for responing. It was a dual boot system with windows 2000, but I decided this time to get rid of windows, I chose automatic partitioning.

There is no 2nd hard drive involved, in fact the hardware hasn't changed.

I chose the graphical installation procedure from a FC3 DVD and followed the instructions, the installation was straight forward, no problems occured during installation and the installation finished with the request to reboot, nothing unusual at all.

I went into rescue mode and tried several things in the meanwhile, like turning of selinux for example, but it's still the same story. I also redid the installation with FC4 in the meanwhile actually, also the same story. I am mystified as to what is going on.

-- Dieter
Old 15th July 2005, 08:46 PM
steve941

How did you get rid of windows? If you chose automatic partitioning, I think it leaves windows. I did custom install and manually partitioned with druid. You could check check and see if you even have a grub..
boot into rescue (FC4)
say no to the network question and no to automatically mounting Fedora
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/source ..hda if IDE drive, sda if scsi/sata.. depends on your drive
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/source/boot ..assuming you have a separate boot partition-which you should
chroot /mnt/source/boot
ls (lists files/directory) there should be a grub directory
cd grub
nano grub.conf
edits grub if there is one, if you have a grub post it on here
if you don't have a grub you need one...

..oh yeah selinux should not affect this issue...
Old 15th July 2005, 10:32 PM
Dieter Offline

Hi,

I do have a grub directory and a grub.conf, it looks like this

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
Old 15th July 2005, 10:36 PM
Dieter Offline

Sorry, somehow the last post was incomplete, cut and paste mess up

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinux-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 acpi=off rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
Old 15th July 2005, 11:33 PM
steve941

If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do with this:
"root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00"
I don't have that in my grub. I can't say for certain since you did automatic partitioning. When you installed do you remember anything about 'logical volume management' or something? I manually partitioned and opted to not have a LVM-logical volume ---. I've come across other posts on this site that have problems installing with automatic partitioning. I would say try to replace that line with
"root=LABEL=/" but it depends on if you actually have an LVM.
I can only suggest to try replacing that line, but IDK. I think you might want to reinstall, and manually use druid.
Old 16th July 2005, 03:34 AM
Dieter Offline

Hi,

I reinstalled FC4 on my dell inspiron 7500 and this time used the manual partitioning, I have a /, /boot and spaw partition, I made sure to reformat /boot too, but at the end of the day it's still the same story, I try to reboot at the end of the installation, but I end up with a blank sceen with the word GRUB on the upper left corner. I went into rescue mode to check grub.conf, it turns out to be the same except I have a "root=LABEL=/" now. So I guess LVM couldn't have been the problem. I am not sure what to do at this point, both FC3 and FC4 seem to install fine, but I can't boot. I basically have an unusable laptop now. I don't understand what could be wrong, I had a more complex system in the past actually, dual boot, Windows 2000 + fedora, and never encountered such a problem. Any ideas?
Old 16th July 2005, 03:57 AM
Dieter Offline

I made some progress. I was wondering whether the source of the problem could be a messed up MBR. So I pulled out my Windows 2000 CD and booted from it, press "R" during setup, then "C" in the following menu to start the recovery console, at the prompt I enter "FIXMBR" to rewrite the MBR, then "exit" to reboot, and now I can boot. Unfortunately, my journey is far from over, I end up with a blank sceen now.
Old 16th July 2005, 04:12 AM
Dieter Offline

I solved the blank screen problem too. I had to add vga=791 as kernel option in grub.conf, I sort of remembered that I did that in the past (did that again by going in the rescue mode). So I did the post installation stuff and I think I am ok now with FC4. Hopefully I didn't speak too soon.
Old 16th July 2005, 04:47 AM
steve941

Well if you ever install Fedora or Windows, or any other OS. Especially if you go from say windows to linux or even one linux distro to a different one- I recommend going to your hard drive manufacturer's site and download a hard drive diagnostic utility that allows you to check your drive for errors and repair bad sectors (most of the time) and allows to to write zeros to your drive. At least perform a 'quick write' which destroys the MBR and SHOULD take care of all problems. The full erase, well will destroy your entire drive and ANY problems, so that when you install an OS, you won't have problems with the MBR or formatting. You don't have to do this but I recommend it. I've done it many times to install windows and also now twice to reinstall fedora- ive been lazy and only done the quick write with fedora. This install process seems like it takes longer, but it probably doesn't when you factor in like your situation where you had to install fedora again and that didn't even help.

Tags
7500, dell, fc3, inspiron