Recently I have installed the Canon LIDE 30 scanner on my FC1 (It took me less than install It on a Windows machine, no drivers, no reboots
, just plug & play not plug and pray
Yesterday at last I was able to scan from mi Windows XP box, with an standalone application and from into my favourite graphics edition program emulating a TWAIN device (being really a sane-net connection).
Ok, here are the steps:
* Assure you scanner is supported in the SANE list of supported scanners, you can review it at
* Remind the sane backend that supports your scanner (plustek, in my case)
* Installl the sane rpms using your favourite procedure if they are not installed yet (apt,yum, rpm..)
* assure that in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
the line with the backend net and the line with your needed backend are not commented (in my case: net and plustek backends)
* Now you should be able to scan locally, try from terminal:
and assure it lists your scanner (It must be previously plugged and powered on, of course), If it's not detected, follow the sane man pages stuff.
* If you desire that your linux access to another machines scanners, add their ips on /etc/sane.d/net.conf
, on any case, asure that the file contains localhost. Read sane-net man pages on doubt.
* On /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
list all the machines allowed to scan from your machine. Read saned man pages on doubt and for security issues
* Create a group and a user saned allowed to use the scanner.
* I suppose you can chown the device of your scanner (on my case /dev/usb/scanner0
) to saned:saned, On my case It doesn't matter security and by now I have chmod 666 it
* Now you should install the new sane service, on my case I added to /etc/services the line
[code:1]sane 6566/tcp # SANE network scanner daemon[/code:1]
and created a file on /etc/xinetd.d/ named sane and with the content:
port = 6566
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = saned
group = saned
server = /usr/local/sbin/saned
Now xinetd should restart automagically and gracefully and take the new service, else read the xinetd man pages
* Once you have assured yourself that sane service is running, you can install the windows client part, on my case xsane for windows crashed randomly on previewing or scanning, but the fronted from http://sanetwain.ozuzo.net/
seems to work fine for me
Any comments, questions, feedback or suggestions would be apreciated