Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th July 2005, 04:28 AM
cjc2005 Offline

FC4: RAID5 disappears on reboot

Hi, I'm using FC4 on a PII-333/256MB machine. After I got FC4 installed OK, I added 4 ATA 160GB drives on two separate Promise Ultra 100 TX2 controllers, one drive per channel as master. The drives are recognized as hde, hdi, hdg, and hdk. I fdisked them and created a single "fd" (RAID autodetect) partition on each one. I then created a RAID 5 disk array using mdadm:
mdadm --create /dev/md4 -c128 -n4 --level=5 /dev/hd[eigk]
md4 synched OK, I formatted it with jfs, and was able to mount it. Tried it out, copied data, eveything looked OK. Finally I edited /etc/fstab to add the info for md4.
During reboot I get a message saying md4 is not a recognized device. I looked closer at dmesg output, and saw a message saying hde: unknown partition table.
I typed fdisk /dev/hde, and there was no partiiton table at all! I looked at the other disks in the RAID5 array, and none of them had a partition table.
It looks like the partition tables were wiped out on reboot. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any ideas?

Thanks, Chris
Old 26th February 2006, 04:18 AM
mattg Offline

your partition tables aren't wiped on reboot. use parted and you'll see that they're still there..

I have the same issue with a raid 1.

I have md1,2,3,4 and they all come back fine on reboot.. I created them when i built the system, but my md5 does exactly what you're talking about.

look for the file that holds the raid config info and you'll see what you need to fix.

I haven't found it yet, but I haven't looked as this hasn't been a pain in my butt yet. I've only rebooted the box twice in two months.
Old 26th February 2006, 04:22 AM
mattg Offline

this question seems to be answered here.

http://www.raditha.com/linux/raid.php

looks like the command
mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
should fix this issue.
RHCE #804005907517950

Tags
disappears, fc4, raid5, reboot