Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd June 2005, 08:57 PM
xamox Offline

Freeing Unused Kernel Memory Stall - A hardware Error? BIOS Error?

I currently run IPCOP (linux) on an old 266Mhz Machine that functions as my router. Everything has worked perfect on the machine for the past 6 months running it. The computer is stationed right next to my Television, and the other night I was watching TV and heard this bang noise then a weird noise come from the machine. But the machine still ran fine for about an hour after it made the noise. After finishing the movie I was watching I powered it down and opened up the machine. The CPU fan had fallen off, not quite sure how. When I rebooted the machine something popped up saying that the BIOS had been reset and I just hit enter to use the default setting.

The machine booted, loaded GRUB, ran the default kernel. Everything appears to loading fine until it gets to "Freeing Kernel Memory: 92k" then it just stalls. I searched online for any similar problems but haven't seemed to find any solutions. I have swapped RAM, video cards, and have tried the FAIL Safe and Opitmal Setting in the BIOS. I am not sure if something special has to be turned on, but nothing seems to work.

I have also tried to reinstall IPCOP but the CDROM keeps failing too. Not sure if this is some type of setting for the RAM or not.

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. My network is down so I people in my house are kind of upset that only one machine has a net connection.

Thanks.

p.s. I know this is Fedora Forums not IPCOP but normally people seem to know their stuff on these forums.

Tags
bios, error, freeing, hardware, kernel, memory, stall, unused