Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th June 2005, 01:40 PM
nomo_green Offline

What has happened to FC4?

Greetings all,

I just installed FC4 yesterday and I've noticed a few things I'm not happy about. No XMMS, nothing to play mp3's, nothing to play mpg's, no Xine, no Mplayer, nothing of any interest. Yum works for updates, but nothing else. I can't find any add-on rpm's for FC4 (using apt for rpms). Menus have changed and become even more illogical. Man, what are they thinking up there in RedHat Kingdom?

I'm going to give it some time, but I'm very disgusted with this release and if it keeps up, I guess I'll move elsewhere. I've been with RedHat for a long time and it makes me sad to see it going to the wayside.
Old 16th June 2005, 01:51 PM
dnar Offline

Well the mp3 codec has license issues, so I am guessing this is why xmms has been moved to extras. yum install xmms xmms-mp3 will grab it for you.

I find the menus more logical to be honest.

In the end, if Fedora doesnt meet you needs then there are many other distros that may, thats one good thing about the Linux/GNU Open Source movement.
Registered Linux User #212818. Ctl-Alt-What?
Old 16th June 2005, 01:54 PM
markkuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo_green
nothing to play mp3's, nothing to play mpg's, no Xine, no Mplayer
Those packages dind't exist in any previous versions of Fedora Core, either. The situation with patents on multimedia codecs prevents their inclusion on any past, current or future versions of Fedora Core.

Xmms has been moved to Fedora Extras because there are CD/media players better integrated in the Gnome and KDE desktops in the Core distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo_green
Yum works for updates, but nothing else. I can't find any add-on rpm's for FC4 (using apt for rpms).
Just like in previous versions, you must configure the third-party repositories by yourself. The repo maintainers got the FC4 distribution at the same time as everybody else, it's going to take some time to rebuild the packages for the new distro.
Old 16th June 2005, 02:03 PM
nomo_green Offline

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I'm aware that most of this has been missing from previous distributions of FC, but I've been able to correct this easily with apt. Now that apt isn't working, I'm having difficulties getting the software I need.

If anyone has a good add-on repository for Yum, let me know.

I just want everyone to know this was not meant to be a flame against FC. I'm just disappointed. Hopefully things will change. After all, it was just released.

Thanks again.
Old 16th June 2005, 02:06 PM
bitrain Offline

See the 'some ready to go repos for fc4' thread

mplayer: yum --disablerepo=livna install mplayer mplayer-gui <--- if you don't have livna, forget the disablerepo=livna
xmms: yum install xmms xmms-mp3 <-- you need livna here for mp3

Laptop: Nec Versa p550, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024MB ram, x300, 80 GB HD, bluetooth, 2915BG Wlan card
Desktop: Amd Athlon x2 4200+, 2GB ram, Geforce 7300GT 512MB silent, 160GB HD in a nice centurion 534 case :cool:
Old 16th June 2005, 02:10 PM
hubs Offline

The applet Inbox Monitor has also disappeared.
Old 16th June 2005, 06:48 PM
grash Offline

livna repo - mplayer

Hi all
Could someone post the livna repo for me? Thanks. Also I tried the yum install mplayer and yum reports "nothing to do". Could someone post what I need to do to get yum working properly wth livna preferably. Thanks again.
Old 16th June 2005, 07:01 PM
markkuk Offline

Remove all previous configuration for Livna (if you have any) and run the following:
Code:
rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/RPMS.lvn/livna-release-4-0.lvn.2.4.noarch.rpm
Replace "i386" with "x86_64" if necessary.
This will install a working repo file and the GPG key.
Old 16th June 2005, 07:11 PM
grash Offline

Thanks markkuk...worked like a champ. I now have xmms.

Anyone know how I can get mplayer?
Thanks again.
Old 16th June 2005, 10:00 PM
bitrain Offline

yum install mplayer mplayer-gui

Laptop: Nec Versa p550, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024MB ram, x300, 80 GB HD, bluetooth, 2915BG Wlan card
Desktop: Amd Athlon x2 4200+, 2GB ram, Geforce 7300GT 512MB silent, 160GB HD in a nice centurion 534 case :cool:
Old 16th June 2005, 11:27 PM
grash Offline

Thanks bitrain. My previous post said this didn't work. The problem was that the freshrpms repo is not included in a fresh FC4 install. Adding it makes everything work as you describe. Thanks all.

Tags
fc4, happened